Chapter 20 ~ Critical

Marci POV

"Mom turn on the news," Lina said as I was on the computer in my office. I was waiting on Lilly to come home so we could see if Cadence was related to her.

"What is it Lina?" I got up and walked to the tv room.

"Breaking News,

Yes we have just identified the shooting victims as Evan and Cadence McCain. They were shot in the middle of the street. Their tires looked to be shot out and we have a source saying there is a nine one one call placed right before the victims were shot. We have a little of the call here...," the reporter said.

"911, what is your emergency?"

"They are trying to kill us...No!"

I could here that it was Cadence's voice. Then I heard glass shattering. My heart nearly stopped.

"I'm calling Ben." I grabbed my phone bumping my knee on the table. I dialed his number and he picked up on the third ring.

"Ben oh my dear Lord, somebody shot Cadence and Evan. Oh God this can't be happening."

"Calm down Marci, you said Cadence and Evan were shot."

"Yes! Ben... it's all over the news," I said as I felt myself hyperventilating. Lina came behind me and rubbed my back.

"Which hospital?" He said.

"I don't know?" My sobs were getting the best of me.

"Someone shot them Ben? What are we going to do?"

I could hear Ben talking to someone in the back. I heard a loud scream. It sounded like Lilly.

"Lilly is with me. I will call Jeffries to see if he knows anything. Stay by the phone Marci. Stay at the house just in case the police calls or anyone calls."

We hung up as I paced back as forth.

"Mama I hope they make it through this."

"Baby me too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lilly POV

"Ben please tell me this a joke?" I said as my hands shook.

We pulled up as we saw news cameras and police cars.

"Do you think..." before I could get the words out, Ben was outside the car. I followed quickly behind him as we saw Evan's car.

"Excuse me sir, but we think our granddaughter Cadence McCain was involved in an accident," Ben asked the uniformed cop.

"Sir you need to step back," he said.

"Please we are just trying to see if she is okay. She was in the car with her husband. She's pregnant with twins, sir we just need to know what hospital they are in."

The officer radioed in and we heard University. "They were taken to University. They air lifted both of them about five minutes ago."

"Thank you," Ben and I both said. We hurried back to the car and headed in that direction. I prayed that they were going to be okay.

"Ben, we can't lose her!"

"We won't she, Evan and the babies will be fine. We just have to pray that God keeps them in his mercy."

The tears came down in droves. My heart was breaking all over again. If I lost her when I just found out she was part of my flesh and blood, I wouldn't know what to do.