Chapter 41 ~ Opening Arguments

Cadence POV

I looked in the mirror for the hundredth time. Today would be the first day I had seen Yaz and Marquis since the night of the the shooting. I wasn't sure how the day would go because during the night my nightmares came to a head. My stomach was nauseated and tears ran down my face. I would have to see Dr. Sims because it was becoming too much.

I walked in the nursery startled to see Evan. I had no idea he was here and he was sitting on the floor with Eva and Lilly. I walked in and sat behind the twins.

"Are you okay?" He asked moving Eva's pull up toy to her.

"No. I'm so scared. I'm scared that the nightmares won't go away. I'm scared that they will find a way to release them and I will have to watch my back."

"They have more than enough evidence to convict them."

"I hope so."

We remained quiet as Lilly tried scooting towards me.

"They are getting so big," he said.

"They are, they will be five months in a few days. The doctor said they are in good health and shouldn't have any developmental problems. I have a development specialist to come twice a week."

"You are doing a good job with them."

"Thank you. How is Kara doing?"

"She's doing good. She misses you."

"I miss her too. Tell her I still love her. I better get dress since court will be starting soon," I said getting up.

An hour later we were walking out the front door. Evan, Dorothy, Amelia and Thurman rode in one limo as Lilly, Ben, Lina, Marci and myself rode in another. Our attorney Harry Thompson had gotten us access to the underground parking lot at the courthouse for security reasons. The plan was for Evan and I to only sit together in the courtroom.

As soon as we arrived, there were media outlets everywhere. People were snapping pictures as the limos were directed into the underground lot. Dorian stopped us in front of the elevators and Evan held it open for me.

I took a deep breath as the elevator rose. Our attorney, along with Steve, Ben's cousin who was working with the prosecution and two bodyguards were in front of us. As we got out, photographers were crowded outside the courtroom as Evan grabbed my hand. At first I hesitated but reporters were shouting questions and it was a mad house. We were finally ushered in the courtroom and sat down.

"Are you okay?" Evan asked.

"Yeah. I guess I didn't realized there would be so many people here."

"Well it's okay because it is a closed courtroom. They didn't want anything interfering with the jury's decision."

"Good," I said taking off my coat. He took it and sat it on the side of the bench. Lilly and the rest of the family walked in and sat on both sides of us. Why was I so nervous?

The doors opened and in walked Yaz and Marquis. My stomach fell to floor as they walked in with smiles on their faces. Did they have any remorse? Yaz turned around as she took her seat and blew a kiss at Evan. She was wearing an orange jumpsuit and white tennis without the shoestrings.

Marquis was wearing a tan jumpsuit with white snickers and no strings and he sat next to his attorney. His hair was shaved bald and he looked hard in the face.

The jury walked in and then everyone rose as Judge Alfred McGee walked in. The proceeding began as the charges were announced.

"Yaritza Pena and Marquis Wilson have been accused of two counts of first degree attempted murder. n possession and under the influence of narcotics, hallucinates and felony use of a gun. Also your Honor the accused left the country which carries and addition charge. The prosecution is asking for the death penalty for both accused."