Chapter 27 ~ Past or Future

This chapter is dedicated to @TOKUNBIN2004,@HEYYY5623, @JEANNIEFULTONWALTER,@FOREVER_YOUNG23,@FLUFFCHUKER and @JACKIEDICKERSON- Thank you for volunteering to read my two versions of this chapter. Version two won, but I did mix in a little of Version One.

Hope everyone enjoys:

Cadence POV

I was down in the NICU to see Baby Eva and Baby Lilly. Within the last week they had picked up more weight and the prognosis was good. Those two had fought many battles to prove that they belonged here.

Baby Eva was finally taken off the ventilator and breathing on her own. She was the strongest of the two. I held and rocked her as I hummed a lullaby. She opened her little golden eyes and twisted her lips in a little smirk. She knew my voice and it made my heart skip a beat. She held on to my finger as proving she was strong and that she was here to stay.

"Can I join you?"

I looked up to see Lilly. She was standing up with her blue hospital gown on smiling down at me.

"Sure. You get to hold your namesake." The nurse came over and placed Baby Lilly in her arms.

"They are absolutely beautiful Cadence."

"Thank you. Evan and I did well."

"Yes you two did."

We sat there watching the babies in awkward silence. I could tell something was eating her up and I knew what it was.

"They say babies have a way to calm us. They also say they are the best therapists because they don't judge. All they ask for is love, commitment and tenderness," I said looking at Lilly looking down at the baby stroking her cheek. She seemed to be in another world as I saw her eyes watered.

"You have a lot on your mind. Certain people can bring out certain emotions in a person when guilt starts to set in. I really think people become too hard on themselves not realizing the circumstances may not be as bad as they think."

She looked up at me and wiped a tear.

"I know Lilly. I've known for a few days."

She just stared at me. I grabbed her hand and held it as she sat next to me.

"I've had this feeling for so long and I thought deep down if it was true, how happy I would be and I am. There has always been a connection and it just took time for it to grow. We can't take back the past but we can move on in the future."

"Cadence I am your grandmother. I have done such horrid things."

"Lilly our destinies are already predetermined, it is up to us how we live it. As I said before I do not blame you for what we did in the past. I am at peace with it. Without you, I might not be holding these two precious angels. The decisions I made a year ago have shaped me into the woman I have become. I'm married, a mother and future businesswoman and without your help its no telling where I would be."

"I'm so sorry Cadence," she said with eyes full of tears. I could see the regret and torture of this secret tearing her up inside and it made me so sad to see her so vulnerable. The Lilly I knew was, confident and portrayed the domination that so many looked up to, but sometimes we forget she is still a human being, a woman with feelings and emotions.

"There is nothing to be sorry about.

But if you need it, I accept your apology but it wasn't necessary. I love you Lilly for the person you are. You have always been nice to me and cared for me from day one. You never spoke ill about me and have always been there for me and my family. I could not have asked for a better person to have in my life."