Chapter 35 ~ Starting Anew

Cadence POV

Breaking News

"Robert Grandeur, the philanthropist, owner of Grandeur Automotive Group and the owner of the New Orleans Sharks, died of a heart attack last night at his New Orleans mansion in Uptown. Mr. Grandeur's wife of only a year and a half found him in his home office where she called 911. The paramedics tried to revive him and he was pronounced dead at University Hospital."

My heart sank in my chest as the reporter on the six o'clock news revealed this information. I sat down in the chair and turned up the volume. They were showing pictures of him throughout the years of him helping the community. I felt wetness slowly dripping from my eyes as thoughts of him and I together became my focus. Although he and I parted on emotional terms he still held a place in my heart. He was the first man I gave my virginity to and was also the first man I had feelings for.

I took a deep breath as I sat back and closed my eyes. Images of he and I at the gala on the night we met became vivid scenes like a painting on the wall. It was my first official night as an Escort and he was one of the five men that Lilly had suggested that would be the right fit for me. Robert was much older than the others and somehow I felt a connection with him. I didn't know if it was because of his involvement in the community or if he was older and I felt that he could be more patient as I was still a virgin.

He seemed to be flattered by the conversation and then he asked me to dance. We waltz and at the end he dipped me. There was an instant spark and I think we both felt it. Somehow I felt safe and that's probably why I chose him.

The night that I gave myself to Robert, he whisked me away to Sandibal Island. He had prepared a delicious meal and I found myself being romanced. He didn't just hit it and quit it, but he made me feel cherished. He gave me pleasure that I desired and more. I was naïve and had mistaken his kindness for something more. Our interludes didn't last long but the way he made my first time special I would never forget. I hated him for so long after, that I regret we ended the way we did. It was now too late for regrets, but my heart did ache for him. I would miss him and he would always remain the first.

"Miss. Cadence, there is a Mr. Jacob Moore here to see you?" Harrison said.

"Can you take him to the living room?"

"Yes, Miss, I will bring in tea," he said.

"Thanks Harrison."

He walked away and I quickly ran in the bathroom to fix my face. I didn't need Jacob asking questions about why I looked the way I did. I fixed myself up as I was wearing an off the shoulder blue dress and high heel sandals. I quietly walked into the living room and took one final look in the mirror. I had just put the girls down for a nap so hopefully they would stay sleep for a little while.

I walked in to see Jacob sitting in the chair. He still looked so handsome in his dark navy pinstripe suit. His hair was freshly cut and he had papers in his hand.

"Hello?" I said walking in the room.

"Hello," he said walking up to me and kissed me on the cheek. I could still smell his cologne that lingered against his skin. I took a seat across from him as he pulled out some papers.

"I have your contract. Lilly's attorney has looked over it and all I need you to do is sign." He reached me a pen and passed the contract.

I looked over it and signed. It was my employment contract for the new clinic. I would be Administrator for over the outpatient clinic of over sixty physicians. I knew most of them from working in the hospital so I felt comfortable with joining. The building was supposed to be up months ago but they decided to add a concourse and another floor.