Chapter 36 ~ Trickery of the Mind

Cadence POV

"Evan, what are you doing here?" I was shock to see him. He was suppose to be in Atlanta. He never said that he was coming back to New Orleans so soon.

"I thought I would surprise you. I went to Lilly's house and you weren't there. One of the maids said you left with a realtor and that his name was Jacob Moore. So I tracked him down here. His secretary must be taking a break so I went to look for someone that could tell me where the office was and they directed me here. So what are you doing here anyway?"

"Ah, looking for a house."

"You have a house."

"No, you have a house Evan. You were suppose to sell it when I graduated anyway."

"The house is in your name."

"Too many memories. I can't live there again."

"Okay, let's sell it and start all over. I want to be with you Cadence. I don't want us to be apart. I don't know how many times I can say sorry, but I swear if you give me another chance, I will make it up to you everyday. Please," he said walking up to me.

"I don't trust you."

"Let me fix this."

"You hurt me damn it!" I was willing myself not to cry. He walked up to me and cupped my face.

"You still love me. I know you do."

"It doesn't matter Evan, if I do or not."

"Yes it does. You know we belong together. The trial is in a week and we need to show a united front."

"Is that why you are here, so people can believe everything's okay?"

"No. I want my damn wife back!"

I jumped at his statement. The tone in his voice and the look in his eye scared me.

"I need to go," I said walking off. I grabbed my purse until I heard Evan's voice.

"What do we have here?" He said reaching for the pictures. He stared at them and looked back at me.

He looked around and back at the pictures. He griped the side of the desk.

"Why does it feel like I've been here before? When I walked in this building it felt like déjà vu. Have I been here before?"

"Cadence, I think you have a good chance...," Jacob stopped as he saw Evan with the picture in his hand.

Evan looked from Jacob to me. He looked backed at the pictures. He gripped the desk with the other hand. I saw anger flash in Evan's eyes.

"You want my wife! Are you sleeping with him? Is he the reason why we can't work this out?" He banged his hand against the desk.

"No Evan. You are the reason why we can't work this out."

"Why are there pictures of you in another man's office?"

"Because Jacob and I are friends."

"How long? Childhood...or was he one of your johns? Are you back to prostituting yourself for cash? Once a whore always a whore. To think I tried to turn a whore into a housewife," he said with a chuckle.

"Look man, don't start anything," Jacob said. I could see Jacob getting riled up.

Is this how Evan really thought of me as a whore? Maybe I was one in the past but I had fallen in love with him. The old Evan never called me names, I didn't know who this Evan was, because this was not the man I fell in love with.