Chapter 10 ~ Family Tree

Events prior to Cadence's engagement and wedding

Ben's POV

It had been almost a year since the search for Lilly's and I daughter began. We had been so close and the answers were finally going to be answered until we flew to Las Vegas only to have Ms. Baptiste have a stroke and now she was paralyzed from the face down. In less then twenty-four hours my hopes of finding our daughter was quickly coming to an end. She had the answers but unfortunately she couldn't help us.

It wasn't until her daughter, Madeline Kramer, the social worker that had helped us in New Orleans came to see about her mother.

"I'm so sorry about your mother. We came because she had news about the information we needed."

"Yes I called her once you mention Lilly Monroe's name. I figured since she use to work for her father she would know something," Madeline said.

I felt like fate was playing an awful joke on me. This was my punishment for not being the man I needed to be.

Steve and I waited until Carmen was released. Since the doctors said that the stroke would probably leave Carmen paralyzed for the rest of her life, Madeline decided to take her mother back to New Orleans and care for her there. Madeline called her husband and a few weeks later they were packing and moving Carmen's things out to sell her home.

Right before Madeline moved her mom, she gave me a call.

"Hello, Mr. Dillard, it's Madeline Kramer. I was moving the last of mother's things in the attic and found a box you maybe interested in."

"Can you tell me what is in it?"

"I'm not sure. From the little I have seen Mr. Malcolm Monroe was a sadistic man. It seems that my mother was involved in some things I rather not discuss over the phone. My mother had a diary during the time she worked for Malcolm and he was a very sick man."

"I am on my way," I said as I felt my stomach tighten.

"What is it?" Steve asked walking in the house.

"That was Madeline. She found a box in her mother's home regarding Malcolm Monroe."

"Do you think it will give us the leads we need, because Lilly is chomping at the bit? If this doesn't help us, I think she is going to fire me."

"She won't. I will talk to her if she does."

"She hates you remember? You are the one who broke her heart."

"If this leads us to our daughter, I'm sure she would take me back and we can be the family that we were meant to have."

We took the next flight out to Vegas and Madeline met us at the house. She led us to the attic where the only thing that was there was a big brown box with MM written in black marker.

"This was in the very back and I'm sure it has been here since she moved to Vegas from New Orleans. When I looked inside the contents shocked me to the core." She lead us to the box and opened it.

There were baby clothes, a diary, scrapbooks, a folder, and an envelope.

Inside of one of the scrapbooks was what I assumed were pictures of Carmen, Malcolm, George Mayer, Tyler Mayer and others. They had women tied, gagged, whipped and had them doing other inappropriate things. These were sexual manipulation acts and the women in the pictures didn't look like they were enjoying it. There were pictures of men using devices in women orifices that looked painfully as women had tears in their eyes not because of pleasure but because of pain, while Malcolm and his friends laughed and took out their pleasure on the women.