Chapter 43 - The Trial of Lost Sanity (Part One)

Evan POV

I watched as Cadence sat her purse down and kissed the sleeping twins. Her glazed over eyes filled with water when she said goodbye. I could tell she was a different Cadence. The Cadence that fought Ebony and even the Cadence that yelled at me, was no longer visible but in it's place was a shell of a woman who had taken a bunch of hard knocks.

Don't get me wrong she was still beautiful but the spirit inside of her was broken. It was my fault and unfortunately I couldn't put it back together.

"Have a safe trip. I will call you if they get a verdict by Friday," I told her.

"I thought you were leaving tomorrow," she said.

"I need to see this trial through. So much pain has been caused and I need it to be put to rest."

"I understand," she said.

She hugged me one last time. The faint smell of her perfume made me close my eyes. It was sweet and sexy at the same time. We stayed like that a few seconds until she pulled back.

"Oh these are for you," I said pulling papers out my jacket pocket.

"What are they?"

"They are separation papers. I was wrong to ask you to wait six months to see if I could get my memory back. You don't have to sign them if you don't want. It's just an option."

"Is this what you want?" She asked.

"I don't know. I just want to see you smile again. I... I have not been the husband you wanted and needed after the accident. I have been a prick and that I am sorry for. Like I said, you don't have to sign it, it's there if you decide that we need this break. I can't promise that I will get my memory back and I don't want to give you false hope. If things are meant to be, I believe they will work themselves out."

"Are you seeing someone?" She asked staring straight at me.

"No, no of course not. I've learned my lesson on that, plus my wife is the daughter of Mike Tyson."

We both laughed.

"No seriously I want you to find whatever you are looking for and I don't want to be the one thing that holds you back. I want you to be the old Cadence that was full of life and ready to take on the world. You want the old Evan back, but we need the old Cadence back. Eva and Lilly need their mother and Ashley and Olivia need their sister back."

"Thank you. If I decide to do this, I will call you first. Although you are giving me this I really have to think about this."

"I understand. Have a safe trip and I promise the girls are in good hands."

She grabbed my hand and squeezed it. She looked into my eyes as if she was looking for something. I quickly smiled and she let go of my hand and walked away. I released a breath that I didn't know I was holding.

Lil stood up in her crib and looked at me. Each day, baby Lilly looked more and more like Cadence as Eva was my twin.

She cooed and then started to cry. I quickly walked up to her and picked her up.

"Shh, daddy's here. Mommy will be back soon," I said patting her back. She smelled of fresh baby powder and lotion.

I walked Lilly over to the window as she watched her mother get into the awaiting car. Cadence looked up as Lil touched the window glass with her palm. Cadence blew her a kiss as she got into the car. Lil turned her head and stared at me as if she was sizing me up.

She took her little hands and placed them on each side of my cheek and kissed me on the nose as drooled ran down the sides. She cooed and smiled as she pulled back.