Chapter 22 ~ Finding the Strength

Cadence

"I going to remove the tube from your mouth. It will probably hurt a little but you will be fine," the female doctor said. She put on her gloves and slowly pulled out the tube. My mouth felt dry as I coughed but nothing came out. She leaned me over as I tried to cough.

I laid back down and she smiled at me.

"I'm Dr. Tasha Worthington and I have been taking care of you. You're strong. You coded on me five times and I thought you had given up."

I tried to ask how long I had been here but I couldn't find my voice.

She pulled up a seat took off her coat and took a deep breathe. "Do you know why you are here Cadence?"

I shook my head as I still couldn't talk.

"Do you want some water?" I nodded yes. She got up and poured me a cup. She lifted my head and the cool water burned going down.

"It's been a while so the burning sensation will eventually go away." I coughed as the water took forever to go down my throat. She put the cup up and sat back down.

"You were shot along with your husband and were airlifted here. When you got here you were unconscious. Dr. Plaissance and Dr. Robbins took you up to emergency surgery where she delivered two baby girls."

I could feel my eyes tingling with tears. Oh God, please don't let my family be dead!!

"They were immediately put on the vent and taken to NICU. They are still there fighting."

I let out a breath. What about Evan? Please Lord don't take him away from me.

"Your husband Evan McCain is still in a coma. You all have been here for a little over a month."

My eyes widened. It felt like the shooting was just like yesterday. The tears slowly ran down my eyes as my chest heaved up and down.

"Calm down Cadence. You will have to settled down," she said getting up. "We can't afford for your blood pressure to rise. You could still easily stroke or worst have a heartattack."

She brushed my hair back and pulled out her phone. She slide the bar and there they were my baby girls.

"They are still waiting to be named. Baby A we call Anna, she is right at two and half pounds and Baby B is Briana. She is almost two and a quarter pounds. See." She held up the phone and I could see one of them moving a little while the other one was sleep. She had live video going.

"You can also watch them on channel 4." She got the remote and turned on the television and sure enough there they were. I couldn't stop the tears and lump in my throat. They were alive. It had been a miracle.

"I will have you moved to a room by tomorrow only if your blood pressure stays down. We just want to make sure you are okay before we move you. As soon as we do, you can see them. There are people outside waiting to see you. I can let two in at a time okay."

I nodded. I managed to grab her hand as my lips formed thank you.

"You are welcome. I'm sorry this had to happen to you. Whenever you get tired get some rest. The nurse will be right outside, if you need anything, press this button." She put it by my hand, smiled and walked out.

I turned my head as I could no longer hold in the tears. My life had been taken away for a month. Did I even know who I was?

"Hey there sissy," I heard Liv's voice as she walked up to the bed. She leaned down and kissed me. "Shh, it's okay. Don't cry you came back."