Chapter 31 ~ Cadence's Turmoil

"Oh God Evan, baby please get up!" I yelled as he collapsed at the door. I heard security radioed into 911 as Evan's breathing became shallow.

"Come on Evan, breath!" I yelled as tears flowed down my face. He had started to turn pale as his eyes rolled in his head. I held him in my arms and caressed his cheek.

"Evan please, breathe baby. You can't leave me!"

"Mrs. McCain, we got him," the paramedics said. Security had blocked off a part of the street and the doors to the building.

"Ma'am what happened?"

"He was sweating and the next thing I know he passed out. His eyes began to roll in his head and his breathing became shallow."

"Is he on any medication or on drugs?"

"He takes pain medicine but nothing out the ordinary because he was shot a few months ago but he was weaning himself off."

The paramedic put him in the back of the ambulance and connected him to all the machines. The third paramedic closed the door as I sat there looking at Evan. Two paramedics took off his shirt and attached pads to his body. I held his hand praying that he would be okay.

"He's coding!" The paramedic shouted to his partner. I jumped knowing that his heart wasn't beating fast enough as I watched his heart rate take a dive. My body felt numb as I didn't know if he would live or die. They quickly grabbed the paddles and charged them. They did it twice and finally his heart began to beat.

I felt myself losing it. The huge tears coming out my eyes became a river. I knew I had to control myself because my mental state was on the verge of crumbling.

We finally arrived at the emergency room and he was taken straight to the back. I saw news cameras and reporters getting out calling my name. Security escorted me into a private waiting room away from all the commotion. I heard someone calling my name and I turned around to see Lina.

"Please she is with me," I managed to say. They let her back and we walked in together.

"I called Emilia and she is calling Dorothy. They should be here soon."

"Thank you," I said in a whisper. I was a zombie as I sat on the hard plastic chair. Did I rush things with him? I knew having sex with him was a bad idea and now finding out he was with someone else right before me made it worst.

When that girl called his name, I could see shock written across his face as he pushed me out the door only to collapse before me. She threw his boxers at him and whispered something before security pushed her back. How could he do this to me again?

When he did collapse I was temporarily absent of his indiscretion because all I saw was the man I love lying almost lifeless before me. My heart was cracking at a fast pace. All I could see was the children growing up without their father and that the man who owned my heart no longer a part of my life.

I would have not only been losing a husband but my best friend, my consoler, my world. When his heart stopped so did mine. I wanted a second chance with him. We didn't have to live in the past, because we could have made a brighter future together. I didn't want to give up on our love but evidently he didn't love me the same.

When I came to his office and gave him my heart again, it did feel different. I wanted him to know how much I loved him and how much I wanted to be his wife. He used to treat me like his Queen and he brought me to the light. I never thought a man could love me with all the emotional scars and baggage but he did or so I thought.

Did I make the wrong choice? Was Jacob right, that maybe I was in love with Evan for the wrong reasons and doing it because I had put him on this pedestal and that he could do no wrong. Were people going to tell me, "I told you so," or would they let me be. Who would be there when my entire world came crumbling down until there was nothing left of me?