Chapter 23 ~ A New Reality

Evan's POV

My parents came in and kissed me on the forehead.

"Ma, what is going on? Who shot me and why would some one want to?"

My mother and father both looked at each other. She took a deep breath and pulled the plastic chair up to my bedside as my father sat on the sofa near the window.

"Baby you don't know how thankful I am to see you talking and awake."

"The nurse said I have been in a coma for over a month. I just don't understand."

"What do you remember Evan?"

"Nothing. The last thing I remember is performing with Sergio in New York."

"I remember. Your dad went with you. You were so nervous."

"Yeah, but I called Yaz and she was able to calm me down. Where is she? I know she has to be worried."

"You and Yaz are not together son."

"What! What happened?"

"She cheated on you and had a child by another man."

My mind was blown. How could she cheat on me? My heart was breaking. She was the one I had planned to marry.

"We are raising the child. Yaz left her on my doorstep about six years ago and you are raising her."

"I'm raising another guy's child that Yaz had?"

"Yes son. You have amnesia."

Had I really lost my memory. This was unbelievable.

"Wait you said the girl is six years old?"

"Yes Evan. It's twenty thirteen. You are twenty~ six years old."

"What!" My mind could not process this.

My mother unzipped her purse and pulled out her compact. She opened it up and reached it to me.

I looked inside and stared at my reflection. I had a bandage wrapped around my head but otherwise I looked the same. My mustache had grown out but there was nothing out the ordinary.

Where were the last six years of my life and why couldn't I remember?

"Can I be alone?" I said giving her back the compact. This was just too much to swallow.

"Yeah baby we can talk more tomorrow. I love you," she said standing up and kissing me on the forehead. My dad grabbed my hand and left.

I put my hands across my face and cried. There were still so many unanswered questions. It seemed that my mom were avoiding them and I wanted to know why. The tears I shed were more from unknowing then what my physical condition was. Why was I spared? If I couldn't remember what happened to me before this accident what good would I be? It really sucked to be me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cadence POV

Jacob? I tried moving my lips but his name was caught on my tongue.

"Oh God, it's true," he said walking quickly to my bedside. He grabbed my hand as huge tears threaten to spill from his eyes.

All I could do was stare.

"I have been praying for this moment for so long. I prayed you would open those beautiful eyes of yours again. I'm so sorry this has happened to you."

He bent down and kissed my hand and he broke down causing me to cry too. I reached over and rubbed his hair.

So many emotions ran through me. I looked on the screen and saw my two babies. They were created by Evan and I and no matter how mad I was about this whole ordeal, I knew he loved us.

I needed to speak. I needed my voice. With a deep breath and in a whisper I said, " Jacob."

He looked up at me and I smiled. He loved me. I saw it written across his face and there was no denying it, but I still couldn't love him the way he needed to be loved.

Jacob rose up as I followed his movements. "Sorry. It just seems like when you were lying here still, a piece of my heart would break every time. I've missed you so much. I have never loved anyone the way I love you. You will always have my heart."

How could he say those things when I didn't belong to him? I married Evan not him.

I blinked and I grabbed his hand. I began to move my mouth. "I love Evan," I whispered softly. His head turned in shame.

"I'm... sorry," the words floated in the space.

"I know. But I'm here if you need me." He looked up at the screen as I watched his face contort.

"Get well, they need you both." He kissed me on the cheek and walked out. I let out a breath I had been holding.

The remote was still next to my hand and I pressed the nurse button. My stomach was still wrapped and when I turned around a sharp pain went through me.

"Yes Mrs. McCain," the nurse said walking up to my bed checking the wires connected to me.

I used my come hither finger and she brought her ear down to my lips.

"My hus..band," I managed to say.

"He just came out his coma around the same time you did. He is resting in his room."

"See (swallow) him."

"You aren't quite well enough to see him. The doctor hasn't given us permission to let you leave the room."

"Please," that came out in a whisper.

"I'm sorry Mrs. McCain."

Why wouldn't they let me see him? He was my husband! I started jerking the wires that were attached to me.

"Mrs. McCain?"

"My husband," I said with a grunt. I wanted to see my got damn husband and nobody was going to stop me. The nurse tried to grab me and I pushed her.

She pressed the button on the wall and two more nurses came in along with a tall man in uniform.

"Mrs. McCain please calm down," one of the nurses said.

With all the power in my body I yelled.

"EVAN!!! HELP ME!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Evan POV

I woke up in a panic when I heard my name being called. I wasn't sure who was calling it but I heard it loud and clear.

"EVAN!!

There I had heard it again. It sounded like a female voice. I reached for the remote on the night stand. I looked down and felt a bandage covering my middle section. A pain shot through me causing me to wince.

"NO!!

I heard the same voice. Whoever it was she was being handled. Why would they be calling my name? Could I be dreaming and not know it?

I managed to get the remote without dropping it. I found the little symbol with the picture of the nurse on it. I pressed it.

About a minute later a nurse came in and closed the door.

"Yes, Mr. McCain are you in pain?"

"Not really. I heard my name being called."

The nurse went to fix my pillow. "I will have the nursing assistant come and check your vitals while you're up."

"I heard my name. I heard a woman calling it."

"I didn't hear anything."

"I swear I heard her."

The nurse checked my chart and smiled. The expression on her face told me she was lying she heard the woman.

"Miss please. They tell me I have been in a coma for over a month. Please tell me I am not going crazy and hearing random things."

"Get some rest Mr. McCain and the doctor will see you in the morning.

Why wouldn't she tell me the truth? Who was she and why was she calling me? My eyes felt heavy as sleep tampered with my lids. I knew I heard someone calling my name and tomorrow I would find out who it was.