Chapter 24 ~ Losing Myself

Cadence POV

My eyes felt heavy as my arms felt restricted. My head was slumped as I stared at the screen. Two tiny beings stretched their legs as I heard small sounds coming from the screen. It felt like I had been in this prison for so long that I would never leave. Watching my babies in their little cages made my heart pain as I could only see them but couldn't touch. I heard the door open but didn't look to see who it was.

"Hello Cadence," I heard the voice say. I just stared out at the screen as the figure walked in front of me. Where was Evan? They said he was okay why wasn't he here?

"My dear I'm glad to see you awake," she said touching my hand. The softness of her touch almost frightened me.

The door opened again and I heard another voice. The other figure walked in and untied the straps.

"I apologize for the restraints," Dr. Worthington said taking a seat next to Lilly.

"Cadence the nurse told me what happened last night. The physician on call thought it was necessary to confine you to your bed. I understand you wanted to see your husband?"

I looked up for the first time and nodded my head yes. I still felt drowsy from the medication they gave me before.

Dr. Worthington leaned over. "Evan is awake. He is only a few doors down."

"Can I see him please?" My voice had returned somewhat but not to it's full extent. I sounded like a little lost child.

"I would like to talk about Evan first."

"Okay." I wasn't sure what this was all about.

"Do you remember the shooting?"

"Somewhat. Yaz and a man shot us. They shot Evan and then me."

"Correct, Evan was shot just like you. When Evan got shot he hit his head causing him to have a brain bleed. Our neurosurgeon, Dr. Kautz, was able to repair it. Evan had swelling after the surgery and most of it has gone down."

"So he is okay right?"

"When Evan woke up Cadence... he thought it was the year two-thousand and six."

"No that's not right. I didn't know him back then."

"He has amnesia, sweetheart," I heard Lilly say sitting up in her chair.

"So what are you saying, that he doesn't remember me or our children," I felt the water bubbling up in my eyes.

"I have not asked him. A few of his associates stopped by and he didn't recognize them."

"He would know me, I am his wife and the mother of his children. He told me he would always love me. I married him and we are suppose to grow old together. We were talking before this accident ever happened. This can't be true I need to see him."

"Calm down Cadence," Dr. Worthington said getting up. "I don't want you to work yourself up."

"I don't care. You all have kept me from my children and my husband. Nobody wants to tell me anything," I said breaking down. "Lilly why are they doing this to me?"

"Oh honey, you have to be well. You have two babies that need your love and support. Everything will work out fine," Lilly said.

"I want to see him."

Dr. Worthington stood up and whispered something to Lilly. She walked out the room and moments later she came back with a wheelchair and a nurse. She gave instructions to the nurse and I was being lifted into the wheelchair. Dr. Worthington stood in front of me.