Chapter 13 ~ Rest

Jacob POV

I was on my way back to New Orleans in my private jet when I turned on the television. I flipped through the channels trying to find the business network channel. As I flipped through, I saw a picture of Cadence with Evan smiling near a beach. I stopped and listened to the reporter.

"Yes ladies it's true. The music mogul Evan McCain is getting married today to his fiancé, Cadence Montgomery, in a private ceremony in the Bahamas. We heard that her gown was designed by Lordes Paulo and we also heard Evan McCain pulled out all the stops. The wedding will be attended by family and close friends. The couple will stay in Sweeting Cay, a small private island for the rest of the week. So all you ladies that had your eyes on the sexy Evan McCain, he is no longer on the market."

I felt myself getting angry. I didn't think she would do it. I felt like my heart was breaking as if she had put a spell on me. I rubbed my face in disbelief but somehow deep inside I couldn't give up. Evan McCain could never be the man she needed. He didn't know how to love and treat her the right way.

But one thing for sure was if he ever laid a hand on her or hurt her, I would kill him.

I turned off the television. Something just didn't sit right with me. I needed to see her. I saw her face that night and no matter how much she denied it, she loved me.

I picked up my phone and called Valencia.

"Val, is Chris there?"

"Yes sir, hold on."

"Jacob, is everything okay?"

"Plans have changed. I'm going to Sweeting Cay. I need you to arrange for me a place to stay."

"What's in Sweeting Cay?"

"A new hot property. I am turning the jet around. I should be able to arrive in a couple of hours.

"Wait, I know what you are doing. I heard Evan was getting married today. You got to let her go, man. She is marrying another man."

"I don't pay you to meddle in my personal life. Now book me a got damn room!" I hung up the phone.

I called the number Veronica gave me earlier.

"Mr. Walker?"

"Yes."

"This is Jacob Moore. You said you know Lilly Monroe."

"Yes, yes. I'm Benjamin Walker, Lilly's personal driver."

"What can I do for you?"

"You own a building in the Ninth Ward that use to be a halfway house for runaways. My daughter was a resident there and I was trying to find her."

"The place has been shut down for
years. The place is going to be demolished on Monday."

"Please I just need to know if the files are still in there?"

"I'm not sure whats in the building. It was an apartment building first before it became a halfway house. The place is a disaster. I don't think the place is safe enough to even go in. I'm sorry but the liability is just too much."

"Please, I'm begging you. You are my only hope. The lady that ran the place had information on each child. I have been looking for my daughter for years. Please, just let me and my associate look."

"You are putting me in a very bad predicament."

"I swear if there was another way, I would do it."

"Okay, I will contact my assistant, Chris. I will not be able to meet with you but I will have Chris assist you. Please be careful."

"Thank you so much," I could hear the excitement in his voice.