Chapter 12

We were on a case, We drove up to the house, Dean and Sam getting out, I wasn't allowed to come because they were using shock guns. I saw Sam come out with the kids, but I didn't see Dean. I got out and ran to Sam, then ran into the house, Sam followed me. I stopped at the stairs when I saw Dean passed out, I froze,
Sam said" Dean!" Then ran down the stairs and to Dean, what's gonna happen to Dean?

We were in the hospital, I'm clinging to Sam for dear life,
A woman said" Sir, I'm so sorry to ask.  There doesn't seem to be any insurance on file."
Sam said" Right, um... okay." He handed her a card,
" Okay, Mister... Berkovitz." Sam turned around,
A police man said" Look, uh, we can finish this up later."
Sam said" No, no, it's okay. We were just taking a shortcut through the neighborhood, and our windows were rolled down. We heard some screaming when we drove past the house, and we stopped, ran in."
" And found the kids in the basement."
" Yeah."
" Well, thank god you did."
" Excuse me." He bounced me as he moved to the doctor," Hey, Doc, is he.."
The doctor said" He's resting."
" And?"
" The electrocution triggered a heart attack, pretty massive, I'm afraid. His heart, it's damaged."
" How damaged?"
" We've done all we can. We can try and keep him comfortable at this point, but I'd give him a couple of weeks at most, maybe a month." I started shaking,
" No, no, there's... got to be something you can do, some kind of treatment."
" We can't work miracles. I really am sorry." Sam walked off, he put me down at the door,
" Stay right here, Hazel, I'll be right back. Everything's gonna be just fine." He walked in, I slid down the wall and whimpered, waiting for Sam to come out.

Sam was calling Daddy, Sam doesn't look good, he hasn't went to sleep any since Dean was in the hospital. I walked out of the bathroom when I heard a knock on the door. Sam stood up and walked to the door, opening it,
He said" What the hell are you doing here?"
Dean said" I checked myself out."
" Are you crazy?"
" I'm not gonna die in a hospital. Where the nurses aren't even hot."
" You know, this whole, I laugh in the face of death, thing it's crap. I can see right through it."
" Yeah, whatever, dude. Have you even slept? You look worse than me." Sam helped Dean,
" I've been scouring the internet for the last three days." Dean sat down in a chair," Been calling every contact in Dad's journal."
" For what?"
" For a way to help you. One of Dad's friends, Joshua, he called me back, told me about a guy in Nebraska... A specialist."
" You're not gonna let me die in peace, are you?"
" I'm not gonna let you die, period. We're going."
———
We pulled up to this tent place, I looked at Sam, then to Dean, this place scares me. Sam rushed out to Dean's side,
Sam said" I got you."
Dean said" I got it. Get Hazel. Man, you're a lying bastard. Thought you said we were doing to see a doctor." Sam lifted me up,
" I believe I said, A specialist. Look, Dean, this guy is supposed to be the real deal."
" I can't believe you brought me to see some guy who heals people out of a tent." A woman said something as she walked by," Yeah, that's nice." I laid my head on Sam's shoulder, I looked at Dean, some guy was arguing with a cop." I take it, he's not part of the flock."
" Well, when people see something they can't explain, there's controversy."
" Yeah, but come on, Sam.. a faith healer?"
" Maybe it's time to have a little faith, Dean."
" You know what I got faith in? Reality, knowing what's really going on."
" How can you be a skeptic, with the things we see every day?"
" Exactly. We see them. We know they're real."
" If you know evils out there, how can you not believe good's out there, too?"
" Because I've seen what evil does to good people."
A woman said" Maybe God works in mysterious ways."
" Maybe he does. I think you just turned me around on the subject."
" Yeah, I'm sure."
" I'm Dean. This is Sam, and Hazel."
" Layla. So, if you're not a believer, then why are you here?"
" Apparently my brother believes enough for the both of us."
Another woman said" Come on, Layla, it's about to start." They walked into the tent,
" I'll bet you she can work in some mysterious ways." We walked into the tent," Yeah, peace, love, and trust all over." Sam turned around and we saw a security camera." What're you doing? We're sitting right here."
Sam said" We're sitting up front."
" What? Why?"
" Come on."
" Oh, come on, Sam." We started walking to the front,
" You alright?"
" This is ridiculous. I'm good. Dude, get off me."
" Perfect."
" Yeah, perfect."
" Take the isle." Sam sat down, I scooted onto his lap, Dean sat next to me. I held onto Dean's finger, laying my head on Sam's chest.
A man said" Each morning, my wife, Sue Ann, reads me the news. Never seems good, does it? Seems like there's always someone committing some immoral, unspeakable act. But I say to you, God is watching. And God rewards the good, and he punishes the corrupt. It is a lord... who does the healing here, friends, the lord who guides me in choosing who to heal by helping me see into people's hearts."
Dean mumbled" Or into their wallets."
" You think so, young man?"
" Sorry."
" No, no. Don't be. Just watch what you say around a blind man. We got real sharp ears. What's your name, Son?"
" Dean."
" Dean. I want you to come up here with me." People clapped,
" No, it's okay."
Sam said" What are you doing?"
The man said" Y-You've come here to be healed, haven't you?"
Dean said" Well, yeah, but, uh... maybe you should just pick someone else."
" Oh-Ho, no. I.. I didn't pick you, Dean. The Lord did."
Sam said" Get up there!" He nudged me,
I said" For me?" Dean looked at Sam and me, I smiled at him, tilting my head. Dean's tongue stuck out of his mouth a little then he stood up, walking up to the stage. He stood up there then the man put his hand on Dean's head. Dean went onto his knees, I lifted my head up and scooted onto his chair. Then Dean passed out, Sam and I ran over to him, I saw a blurry figure. I whimpered, Sam grabbed Dean's shirt and pulled, shaking him.
Sam said" Say something?" Dean stared at where the blurry figure was, I stared at it till it went away.
———
We were at a doctors,
Sam said" So, you really feel okay?"
Dean said" I feel fine, Sam."
A doctor said" Well, according go all your tests, there's nothing wrong with your heart. No sign there ever was. Not that a man your age should be having heart trouble, but, uh... still it's strange, it does happen."
" What do you mean, strange?"
" Just yesterday, a you guy like you, 27, athletic. Out of nowhere, heart attack."
" Thanks, Doc."
" No problem." She walked out,
" That's odd."
" Maybe it's a coincidence. People's hearts give out all the time, man."
" No, they don't."
" Look, Dean, do we really have to look this one in the mouth? Why can't we just be thankful that the guy saved your life and move on?"
" Because I can't shake this feeling, that's why."
" What feeling?"
" When I was healed, I just, I felt... wrong. I felt cold, and for a second, I saw someone, this old man. I'm telling you, Sam, it was a spirit."
" But if there was something there, I think I would've seen it too. I've been seeing an awful lot of things lately."
" Oh, excuse me, psychic wonder. You're just gonna need a little faith on this one. Sam, I've been hunting long enough to trust a feeling like this."
" Yeah, alright. So, what do you want to do?"
" Why don't you go check out the heart attack guy. I'm gonna visit the reverend." Dean took me from Sam's arms and carried me with him, I played with Dean's amulet, My eyes started to close then I fell asleep.

I woke up when I felt someone poking my stomach, I whined and grabbed the hand.
Dean said" Wake up, I'm not carrying you into the room." I whined and then held out my arms," Dammit, Baby girl, you are a devious little thing." He lifted me up and I closed my eyes again.
Dean said" What'd you find out?" He laid me down on the bed,
Sam said" I'm sorry."
" Sorry about what?"
" Marshall Hall... died at 4:17."
" The exact time I was healed."
" Yeah. So I put together a list of everyone Roy has healed, six people over the past year and I cross-checked them with the local obits. Every time someone was healed, someone else died, and each time, the victim died of the same symptom le grange was healing at the time."
" Someone's healed of cancer, someone else dies of cancer?"
" Somehow Le Grange is trading a life for another."
" Wait, wait, wait. So... Marshall Hall died to save me?"
" Dean... the guy probably would've died anyway. And someone else would've been healed."
" You never should've brought me here."
" Dean, I was just trying to save your life."
" Sam, some guy is dead now because of me."
" I didn't know. The thing I don't understand is, how is Roy doing it? How is he trading a life for a life?"
" He's not doing it. Something else is doing it for him."
" What do you mean?"
" The old man I saw onstage. I didn't want to believe it, but deep down I knew it."
" You knew what? What are you talking about?"
" There's only one thing that can give and take life like that. We're dealing with a Reaper."
——
Sam said" You really think it's The Grim Reaper. Like angel of death, collect your soul, the whole deal?"
Dean said" No, no, not The Reaper, A reaper. There's Reaper lore in every culture on Earth. They go by a hundred different names. It's possible that there's more than one."
" But you said you saw a dude in a suit."
" You think he should've been working the black robe thing? You said it yourself that the clock stopped, right? Reapers stop time. You can only see them when they're coming at you, which is why I could see it and you couldn't."
" Maybe."
" There's nothing else it could be, Sam. The question is, how is Roy controlling the damn thing?"
" The cross."
" What?"
" There was this cross. I noticed it in the church tent. I knew I had seen it before. Here." He showed Dean a card,
" A tarot?"
" It makes sense. Tarot dates back to the early christian era, when some priests were using magic and a few veered into the dark stuff..." I closed my eyes and cuddled into my blanket, falling asleep.
———-
Sam woke me up,
Dean said" Hey, we'll be back soon, okay?" I looked and saw it was nighttime, I yawned," Hey, go back to sleep." I nodded then closed my eyes again, Dean kissed my head and then I pushed his face away. He chuckled before walking off with Sam, I fell asleep again.
———
They got rid of the reaper, Dean was staring off, we were packing up to leave.
Sam said" What is it?"
Dean said" Nothing."
" What is it?"
" We did the right thing here, didn't we?"
" Of course we did."
" Didn't feel like it." Someone knocked on the door,
" I got it. Hey, Layla. Come on in." She walked in, Dean stood up,
" Hey. How'd you know we were here?"
Layla said" Sam called. He said you wanted to say goodbye."
Sam said" I'm gonna... grab a soda." Sam lifted me up onto his hip and carried me out of the room, I giggled at him." You were asleep half of this time, what's up?"
I said" I saw a blurry guy when De was healed."
" What?" He put me down then crouched to my level," What do you mean, you saw a blurry guy, did you see the reaper?"
" I think so. But then I was really sleepy an' forgot."
" Okay." He smiled at me," Let's get a soda." I smiled and nodded happily, he lifted me up and got us soda to share.