Chapter 23

Okay... so... skipping to The Monster at the end of this book... sorry.
————————

Sam and Dean once again left me at Bobby's, I've scrapped it down to now they're just being jerks. And once again, I'm mad at them.
Once I heard them knock on the door, I pouted but answered the door.
Dean said" I'm thinking a sorry won't cut it this time?" I walked pass them and got into the shotgun of the impala. They walked and got in, Sam scooting me over so he could fit,
Sam said" Look, I know this means nothing, but we're sorry."
" Yeah, Haz. We're really sorry."
I mumbled" I knew when you would get hurt, and I couldn't do anything about it, I couldn't protect you."
" Hazel, you don't have to protect us, we're the older brothers, we're supposed to protect you."
" I can get rid of demons, ghosts and angels! You can't! They can hurt you, they can kill you!"
" Hazel..."
Sam said" No, Dean. She's right. As much as we don't want her having these powers... they're protecting her from everything we fight. They give her an upper hand."
" Hazel, I know these powers are protecting you, and I know you want to protect us... but we're still your older brothers and we're gonna always make sure you're safe. No matter what happens to us. You get that?"
I said" We protect each other, De, like we always have."
" Yeah, kiddo."
——————
We were at a motel room, reading books that were about us... well, they were reading books, they wouldn't let me read them. I'm looking at the computer with Sam, Dean was on the bed reading the book.
Dean said" This is freakin' insane. How's this guy know all this stuff?"
Sam said" You got me."
" Everything is in here, I mean everything. From the racist truck to... to me having sex. I'm full frontal in here, Dude. How come we haven't heard of them before?"
" They're pretty obscure. I mean, almost zero circulation. Uh, started in '05. The publisher put out a couple dozen before going bankrupt. And, uh, the last one, No Rest for the Wicked, ends with you going to hell."
" I reiterate, freakin' insane. Check it out. There's actually fans. Not many, but still. Did you read this?"
" Yeah."
" Although for fans, they sure do complain a lot. Listen to this, Simpatico says the demon story line is trite, cliched and overall craptastic. Yeah, well, screw you, Simpatico. We lived it."
" Yeah. Well, keep on reading. It gets better."
" There are Sam Girls and Dean Girls and what's a Slash Fan?"
" As in... Sam/Dean. Together."
" Like, Together together?"
" Yeah."
" They do know we're brothers, right?"
" Doesn't seem to matter."
" Oh, come on. That... That's just sick. We got to find this Carver Edlund."
" Yeah, that might not be so easy."
" Why not?"
" No tax records, no known address. Looks like Carver Edlund is a pen name."
" Somebody's got to know who he is."
——————
They went to the publisher of the books, I sat outside in the impala, waiting for them.
Once they came out, I said" So?"
Dean said" Chuck Shurley's his real name."

We got to the house, Sam lifted me up into his arms and I wrapped my arms around his neck. We walked up the porch and Dean rung the doorbell, a man opened the door.
Dean said" You Chuck Shurley?"
Sam said" The Chuck Shurley who wrote the Supernatural books?"
He said" Maybe why?"
" I'm Dean. This is Sam and Hazel. The Dean, Sam and Hazel you've been writing about." The guy closed the door, Dean rung the doorbell again, the guy opened the door.
" Look, uh, I appreciate your enthusiasm. Really, I do. It's, uh, it's always nice to hear from the fans. But, uh, for your own good, I strongly suggest you get a life." Dean stopped him from closing the door,
" See, here's the thing. We have a life. You've been using it to write your books." Dean pushed the door and Chuck backed up, walking back,
" Now, wait a minute. Now, this isn't funny."
" Damn straight, it's not funny."
Sam said" Look, we just want to know how you're doing it."
Chuck said" I'm not doing anything."
Dean said" Are you a hunter?"
" What? No. I'm a writer."
" Then how do you know so much about demons and Tulpas and changlings?"
" Is this some kind of Misery thing? Ah, it is, isn't it? It's a misery thing!"
" It's not a misery thing. Believe me, we are not fans."
" Well, then, what do you want?!"
Sam said" I'm Sam. That's Hazel. And that's Dean."
" Sam, Hazel and Dean are fictional characters. I made them up! They're not real!"
We took him outside and showed him the weapons trunk,
He said" Are those real guns?"
Dean said" Yup. And this is real rock salt and these are real fake IDs."
" Well, I got to hand it to you guys. You really are my number one fans. That's awesome. So, I-I think I've got some posters in the house."
" Chuck, stop."
" Please, don't hurt me."
Sam said" How much do you know? Do you know about the angels? Or Lilith breaking the seals?"
" Wait a minute. How do you know about that?"
Dean said" The question is, how do you?"
" 'Cause I wrote it."
I said" You kept writing?"
" Yeah, even after the publisher went bankrupt, but those books never came out. Okay, wait a minute. This is some kind of joke, right? Did that.. Did Phil put you up to this?"
Dean said" Well, nice to meet you. I'm Dean Winchester, and this is my brother, Sam, and little sister, Hazel."
" The last names were never in the books. I never told anybody about that. I never even wrote that down."
———
We were waiting on Chuck to finally get it together,
He said" Oh! Oh, you're still there."
Dean said" Yup."
" You're not a hallucination."
" Nope."
" Well, There's only one explanation. Obviously I'm a god."
Sam said" You're not a god."
" How else do you explain it? I write things and then they come to life. Yeah, no, I'm definitely a god. A cruel, cruel, capricious god. The things I put you through, the physical beatings alone."
Dean said" Yeah, We're still in one piece."
" I killed your father. I burned your mother alive. And then you had to go through the whole horrific deal again with Jessica."
Sam said" Chuck..."
" All for what? All for the sake of literary symmetry. I toyed with your lives, your emotions, for... entertainment."
Dean said" You didn't toy with us, Chuck, okay? You didn't create us."
" Did you really have to live through the bugs?"
" Yeah."
" What about the ghost ship?"
" Yes, that too."
" I am so sorry. I mean, horror is one thing, but to be forced to live bad writing... if I would have known it was real, I would have done another pass."
" Chuck, you're not a god!"
Sam said" We think you're probably just psychic."
" Chuck said" No. If I were psychic, you think I'd be writing? Writing is hard."
" It seems that somehow, you're just... focused on our lives."
Dean said" Yeah, like laser focused. Are you working on anything right now?"
Chuck said" Holy crap."
" What?"
" The, uh, latest book. It's, uh, it's kind of weird."
" Weird how?"
" It's very Vonnegut."
" Slaughterhouse five, Vonnegut, or Cat's Cradle, Vonnegut?"
" What?"
" What?"
" It's, uh, Kilgore Trout, Vonnegut. I wrote myself into it. I wrote myself, at my house... confronted by my characters."
———
We were at the laundromat,
Dean said" I'm sitting in a laundromat, reading about myself sitting in a laundromat, reading about myself, my head hurts."
Sam said" There's got to be something this guy's not telling us."
" Sam, tossed his gigantic darks into the machine. He was starting to have doubts about chuck, about whether he was telling the whole truth."
" Stop it."
" Stop it, Sam said. Guess what you do next?" Sam turned around," Sam turned his back on Dean. His face, brooding and pensive. I mean, I don't know how he's doing it, but this guy is doing it. I can't see your face, but those are definitely your brooding and pensive shoulders. You just thought I was a dick." I giggled at my brothers,
" The guy's good." Dean made a blank face, I giggled then nearly fell off the machine but Sam's arm caught me before I could.