Chapter 17

Daddy said" This is it. This is everything that I know. Our whole lives we've been searching for this demon, right? Not a trace, just nothing, until about a year ago. For the first time, I picked up a trail."
Dean said" That's when you took off."
" That's right. The demon must have come out of hiding or hibernation."
" Alright, so, what's this trail you found?"
" It starts in Arizona, then New Jersey, California. Houses burn down to the ground. It's going after families, just like it went after us."
Sam said" Families with infants?"
" Yeah, the night of the kid's 6 month birthday."
" I was 6 months old that night?"
" Exactly 6 months."
" So, basically, this demon is going after these kids for some reason, same way it came for me? So mom's death, Jessica, it's all 'cause of me?"
Dean said" We don't know that, Sam."
" Oh, really. I'd say we're pretty damn sure, Dean!"
" For the last time, what happened to them is not your fault."
" Yeah, you're right. It's not my fault, but it's my problem!"
" No, it's not your problem. It's our problem!"
Daddy said" Okay, that's enough."
Sam said" So, why is it doing it? What does it want?"
" I wish I had more answers. I do. Ive always been one step behind it. Look, I've never gotten there in time to save..."
Dean said" Alright, so, how do we find it before it hits again?"
" There are signs. Look, it took me a while to see the pattern, but in days before these fires, signs crop up in an area. Cattle deaths, temperature fluctuations, electrical storms. And then I went back and checked, and..." " These things happened in Lawrence."
" The week before your mother died. And in Palo Alto... Before Jessica. And these signs, they're starting again."
Sam said" Where?"
" Salvation, Iowa."
——
Sam and Dean were dropping me off at the babysitter's.
I said" Why?!"
Dean said" Because this isn't your fight, Hazel."
" But what if you get hurt?!"
" We won't. We'll come back and get you, okay?"
" This isn't fair!"
" Life's not fair sometimes, I'm sorry."

He doesn't want to do this, your father does.

" Daddy told you, didn't he?"
" No."
Sam said" Yes."
" Look, Hazel, I know I told you we wouldn't do this again, but I swear to you, I will come and get you."
" When?"
" In 2 weeks, give me 2 weeks, Hazel." I sniffled,
" Fine. 2 weeks, De, I wanna see you drive up here."
" I will. I promise. I'll always come back to you." I nodded, Sam looked at me as I started crying, Dean closed his eyes for a second before opening them.
Once we got to the babysitter, she met us out there, she shook her head at my brothers before walking back inside.
Dean said" See you soon, Baby girl. Hey, take care of this for me." He put the necklace I got him around my neck. I nodded, and looked at it, It was just a bullet with some glitter on it but Dean loved it, he said it was like me. He never told me why.
Sam said" Hey, I'll see you soon, okay? Be good for me." He kissed my head and hugged me tightly, I hugged him back. He put me down and Dean crouched down and hugged me, kissing my head.
" Remember, Hazel, if you're ever in trouble, shoot first. Ask questions later."
I said" Okay, De." I hugged him and he let go of me after a minute, Daddy honked his car horn. I turned around and walked away from them and into the house. I watched as they got into the impala and drove off, the babysitter, Emily, placed her hand on my shoulder.
She said" Hey, how ya doin' kid?"
I said" They left me again, after they promised they wouldn't leave me again."
" I know, hun, but I guess they just had some adult business to deal with, and didn't want you getting hurt in any cross fire."
" But they promised, they never break their promises."
" I know, hun, I know. But sometimes adults make stupid mistakes and they get people hurt."
" I can protect myself."
" Yeah, I'm sure you can."
" I can!"
" I know, Hazel."
" I just want my brothers." I walked into my room, closing the door and walking to the bed. I closed my eyes and starting dozing off, then I finally fell asleep.

Once I woke up, I walked into the living room and saw Emily sitting there. I said" What's wrong?" She looked at me,
She said" Pastor Jim and Caleb are dead."
" W-What?"
" Come'er, hun." I walked to her and she hugged me, I wrapped my arms around her and buried my face in her neck." Everything's gonna be alright, soon. Your family's smart and brave. They're gonna fix it."
" How?"
" 'Cause they're the greatest hunters in the world. They're heroes." She smiled at me and I nodded," Now, go run along and play, you deserve it." I nodded then ran outside, I ran and fell into the grass. I smiled and breathed out, I hope my brothers are okay.
————————
It's been forever since I seen my brothers, all I know is my daddy's dead. Emily said she hasn't heard from my brothers since that day they left me here. That was more or less 3 years ago, I'm 8 now. I haven't see my brothers in 3 years! I'm not even angry at them anymore. I can't really be anyways, but I do really miss them, I just wish that they would call or text, anything would help really.
Emily ran into my room, she closed the door and locked it.
She said" I need you to grab your bag, pack your supply now." I started grabbing things and stuffing them into my bag," Okay, I need you to go, run as fast as you can and never turn back, okay? Go to Bobby Singer, he's in South Dakota, Sioux Falls. Take my phone and call him, okay?"
I said" What's happening?! What's wrong?!"
" There's some really bad people about to bust in here and kill me, okay? They don't know you're here. You can get away. Now." I nodded and grabbed her phone," Love you, hun."
" Love you too, Em." She hugged me and kissed my head, I jumped out my window and started running, I ran to the forest edge and hid behind some bushes. I heard Emily's scream, then I took off running, as fast as I could and not turning back.