Chapter 40 - A Fateful End

Paul woke up early the next day. He couldn’t feel his arm but he had a feeling that’s how it was supposed to happen. He looked around for John, who seemed to be nowhere. He got up and moaned as pain ran throughout his body. He shook it off and went downstairs. His mother was sitting and just gazing at the distance.

“Hello Paul. You alright?” She asked softly.

Paul sat down next too her. “Fine thanks. Where’s John?”

“Still in the hospital. He had to have surgery.”

“Is he okay?”

“He suffered more of the crash then you did. But I'm glad you are alright.” She smiled and hugged him.

“Do you think we should keep up this?” Paul asked.

“I don’t know, but you can if you want. Hopefully we can catch the criminals who are doing this.”

“Me too.” Paul leaned his head on her shoulder.

“Are you hungry?” She asked.

“A little.” Paul nodded.

“Ill make you something, alright?” She smiled.

“Okay, thanks. Can I help?”

“No you just relax.”

---------------

            George and Paul were walking in the neighborhood with the dog. Paul had gotten tired from sitting inside all day and wanted to get out. Was this a good choice, or not?

“She keeps pulling.” George tugged at their dog’s leash.

“We could let her off the leash.”

“Lets get to that field.” George pointed to a big field.

“I have her ball.”

“That’ll work.” Maggie pulled George forward; he got to her collar and unhooked the leash. Maggie bounded after the ball that Paul threw soon after her being released. She brought it back quickly.

“You can throw pretty good at least.” George stated.

Paul chuckled. “Yeah. No Mags give it to George.”

            Maggie brought it back but dropped the ball and began to bark repeatedly. She moved around and wagged her tail in a circular motion. Paul and George both turned around. George was knocked out and Paul was grabbed. Paul felt the pain in his arm grow from the sudden grab.

“Run Maggie! Leave!” Paul shouted. Maggie lunged at the man and growled as she buried her teeth into the man’s arm.

The man kicked her and aimed a gun at her.

“No!” Paul shouted trying his best to get out. Maggie lunged forward again growling and jumping on the man. Paul was swung away from Maggie’s view and he heard a shot. He turned his head quickly and saw Maggie lying still on the ground. The man lifted Paul up more and ran away. Paul was placed in a car, gagged and tied up. Light was shining from a little window at the top and Paul could see John’s shape lying there. He was unconscious. Paul was hurting all over and he let his tears go. He was captured again, Maggie was dead, and they had no hope of getting out of this. Best he died now then later.

-----------------

            George’s eyes opened slowly. He looked around and felt his head pounding. He sat up and looked around for Paul. He felt Maggie’s body against his arm.

“Maggie?” He rubbed her head. She didn’t respond. “Maggie? What…your not?” He saw a few spots of blood on her fur. He looked around for Paul but he wasn’t anywhere. Which could only mean one thing. He was in serious trouble right now. George stood up.