Chapter 17 - Only The Beginning

Paul's POV

-------

It was a few days after the burial of Bella, and today we were going to look for a dog! I was trying to get George to hurry up, because he was looking for a pair of trousers that weren't dirty. 

"George why don't you just stay here with Ashley. Okay? I don't need three boys and two girls following me around." Mum called up to George.

"Alright!" George yelled back. 

"Come ed Paul!" Marin dragged me out of our room.

"I was coming." I pulled away from her.

"Hurry up then." She went down and to the car.

We drove to a dog breeding place. Marin picked one she liked and John picked one he liked. Mum made the decision. We got a cocker spaniel puppy, female. I was left to name it. I held on to mum's hand as we paid for the puppy and headed home. I was still thinking of a name when we got home.

"Come on." John clapped his hands for the puppy to run outside. She bounded over to John, her tail wagging with joy. She bounced everywhere. 

"What about Maggie?" I asked Marin.

"You wanna do that name?" She looked at me and smiled.

I nodded and smiled.

"Mum the dogs name is Maggie!" Marin yelled.

"Alright good name Paul." She patted my head.

I scooped the dog in my arms and hugged her. Maybe i was wrong with no dog replacing Bella. Because i was so happy to have Maggie.

"Paul, better get your school done." Mum told me.

"Yes ma'am." I put the puppy in Bella's old kennel. "Ill be back Maggie." I winked at her.

George and Ashley came down to see the dog and John came up looking tired. I finished my homework and then had to eat dinner. Then we went back upstairs.

"John?" I asked John. We were both sitting on his bed. 

"Yeah?"

"Do you think girls like me?"

"Now, why do you ask that?" He laughed.

"Well, i don't know, they stare at me and smile. Thats what happened in class a lot."

"I guess they do. How is school going?"

"Same..."I sighed. School was horrible really, not just the homework but the kids. Some of them teased me. It still hurts my feelings.

"It'll get better."

"Are you teased?"

"No. But i have been teased. People laugh at me." John grinned.

"Yeah, for good reasons." I sighed.

"Ah Paul, it'll be alright. Kids'll get to like ya." He put an arm around my shoulder.

"I don't like it Johnny. Why do i feel so lonesome sometimes. I feel like im not complete." I looked at him. All the emotions in me came to the surface. I really didn't know why they did all the time. Mum said it was normal for a child who had a hard life. She just told me to try and keep them under control. John was good about that. I wish i was like him.

"Paul, its alright. Its hard i know but it'll be alright." John put his arm around me.

"John, Paul, wanna do something?" George asked quietly coming up.

"Like what?" John asked.

"Well, play guitar? Or Wii, or what ever."

"Guitar?"