Chapter 4 - Paul's Help

"Mum, you have to care!" Mike yelled.

His mother waved her hand and huffed. Ruth listened quietly, with their little brother Paul in her lap.

"But he's old enough...to old to be treated this way." Ruth hugged her little brother.

Paul didn't understand what was going on. Why did Ruth and Mike care? They were jealous. Paul looked up at his oldest sister. 

"He's my child, child!" Their mother snapped back at Mike. Then yanked Paul away from Ruth. Paul whined and tried to get into a comfortable position. 

"Mum be careful with him!" Ruth stood up.

"I can do with him how ever i please." She stumbled. She walked him to the little room and placed Paul in his bed. 

"Go to bed." Their mother ordered.

Ruth and Mike looked at each other and went into the room. 

"She's drunk Mike. You cant when some one like that over." Ruth said and shut the door. She looked over at Paul, who was staring wide eyed at them. Ruth lowered her head and began to cry.

"Now Ruth stop." Mike sighed and sat next to his sister.

Paul got up and watched his brother and sister comfort each other. What was wrong with Ruth? Why did she cry? 

"Ruthy?" Paul siad in his little soft voice.

Ruth looked up and smiled. "Its alright Paul. We'll get you out of here."

Paul turned his head confusingly. Ruth got up and picked him up. She hugged him tight in her arms.

"He needs to get some sleep."

"Lets leave tonight, Mike!" Ruth exclaimed.

"Okay, if you want too. Ill do it." Mike shrugged.

"Yes! Lets get packed." Ruth put Paul in his bed and pulled out her siut case.

Their door opened and Ruth quickly pushed the case back under the bed. She sat down and faced their mother.

"What are you two doing awake?" She glare at them. "Paul, go to sleep. Now!" 

Paul laid down quickly. Ruth and Mike got in bed.

"Come with me." Their mother picked Paul up. He locked eyes with Ruth. They had fear in them.

"Mum, he needs rest." Ruth said quickly.

"And he'll get some. Away from you. He's staying up with  you in here." She slammed the door and walked away.

"Come ed Ruth we're leaving no matter what."

"Mum changed."

"You know she isn't really our mum. She's only Paul's." Mike mumbled

"I wonder what would happened in our mum stayed alive." Ruth thought while she pulled out her case.

"Paul would never have to experience this." Ruth sighed

"He wouldtn be here." Mike looked out the window.

"Nope. And dad didn't want another kid. Just wanted us to have a mother."

"So he just left when Paul came." Mike asked.

"Yes. Since i was the oldest he only told me that he never wanted another boy. In fact you were the only boy he wanted. He wasted another girl."

"But Paul is so sweet. Spite the fact that he is not matured for his age."

Ruth nodded. They finished packing and hoped out the window into freedom.