Running Through the Garden

"I think I'm falling in love with you too."

Tears flooded Stevie's eyes, pushing at his chest. She felt his weight leave her body, curling in to a ball.

Lindsey watched her concerned, soothing a hand up and down her bare back. "Stevie?"

"This isn't right."

He let out a heavy sigh, running a hand through his sweaty curls. "Nothing is wrong when it comes to you."

She sniffled, sitting up and reaching for his shirt, putting it on to cover herself. The tile floor of the elevator felt cold against her skin, goosebumps rising across her flushed skin. "You have a fiancé, I have Joe."

Lindsey shook his head. "Why do you keep fighting us?"

"I'm scared."

"Of what Stevie?"

"I'm scared of you."

He didn't know how to respond, his heart feeling heavy. "If I've done anything to make you uncomfortable, or-"

"No." Stevie cut him off, shaking her head. "I'm scared of how you make me feel."

   Lindsey sighed, scratching the back of his head. She didn't say another word, starting the elevator up again after she was properly dressed.

    He followed her to their room, the silence tense as he slammed the door behind them. He waited for her to say something, watching as she ventured over to the window, starring out at the city. She sat down on the bench next to it.

  "I met Joe in high school." She finally broke the silence. "He was my first kiss, my first lover, my first everything. We moved out here to live our dreams."

    Lindsey gritted his teeth. "Please do not talk about Joe right now."

     "Why not?" Stevie sniffled.

   "Because I despise him."

   "Lindsey," she reached out to touch him.

He shrugged her off. "No Stevie, I absolutely despise him and every time I hear his name I want to punch a hole in the fucking wall."

  Stevie didn't say anything, drawing her knees in to her chest.

  "What kind of man is ok with letting his woman go out and strip every night while he's at home siting on his ass."

  "He's working on our music Lindsey."

  "He's using you Stevie." He was becoming angry now. "He doesn't care about you."

  "Yes he does."

   "If he cared about you, you wouldn't have been in that strip club in the first place. He would've gone out and gotten a job so you wouldn't have to expose yourself in front of strangers."

  "You don't know our situation."

  He let out a cruel laugh. "I don't know? Because I instantly became famous over night? I worked my ass off Stevie, I played in the same shitty joints that you're playing in and I lived in the same shitty apartment that you do."