Late

Stephanie bit on her thumb nail, watching the man across from her nervously. She'd known him ever since she was sixteen, and never once had she had a problem speaking her mind to him. But at this moment, all that she could manage out of her throat was a tiny whimper. She watched his fingers move over the strings, faster and faster just like her heart beat.

    "What did you think of that?" Joe looked up at her from the living room floor, frowning when she didn't respond, her eyes starring blankly at him. "Steph?"

      "Huh?" She snapped out of her thoughts, scrunching her face up.

     "I asked you a question."

     "Sorry, I was zoned out for a second. What were you asking?"

     "Did you like it?"

     "I always like what you play Joe."

     He sighed frustrated, pushing his blonde hair out of his face. "Well that doesn't give me a lot to work with."

      "You already know it's good, I don't need to sit here and reassure you every five minutes."

      "What is your problem today?" He glared at her from across the room.

   "Nothing." She responded shortly, shooting him one of her own glares. She pushed herself off of the sofa, stomping past him and into the kitchen.

      Joe heard the cabinets slam open and shut, hearing her curse. He let out a heavy sigh, picking himself up off the floor as he set his guitar down. He hesitantly made his way into the kitchen, seeing her hunched over the sink. "What's wrong?"

      "Nothing."

      "That's total bull." She looked over her shoulder to glare at him, moving away as he tried to take her hand. "Steph what's the matter?"

     "I told you, nothing. I'm fine."

      "You've been in a shit mood all day, instead of stomping around here like a two year old why don't you talk to me."

      "Maybe if I wasn't living with such an insensitive asshole, I'd be willing to open up to you!"

     Joe looked at her wide eyed, confusion wiping across his face as tears welled up in her eyes. "Steph, baby what's the matter?"

       Stephanie looked back up at him, swallowing the lump in her throat. "Joe I'm late."

     "Late, what like you mean..." He trailed off, his face turning pale as she nodded. "No, you can't be, I mean...we're so careful." He stuttered out.

      "Apparently not."

       He leaned against the counter, running a hand over his face.  "Do you know for sure?"

       "No, but I'm three weeks late."

        "Why would you bring it up if you're not sure?"

     Stephanie looked at him bewildered, clenching her jaw. "I'm scared, Joe, I need you right now."

        He sighed, shaking his head. "How did this happen?"

      "Well when a man loves a woman,"

      "Would you grow up! Steph this is the most, absolute worst time to have a baby."

       "You don't think I know that?" Tears sprung in her eyes, turning away from him so he wouldn't see the first one fall. "It's not like I planned this!"

        "We're so careful..." He wracked his brain in disbelief, squeezing his eyes shut in frustration.

     "Condoms aren't always effective."

      "I thought you were on the pill."

      "I can't afford it anymore."

         He watched her from behind, her tiny body shaking as she wrapped her arms around herself. "Steph." He sighed out, reaching for her. She shrugged him away, wiping her tears. "Baby I'm sorry."

     "You've made it a hundred percent clear how you feel about this. You're right, I shouldn't have told you."

      Joe sighed again when she pushed past him, grabbing the car keys off the counter. "Where are you going?" She didn't respond and he followed her to the front door. "Stephanie!"

       She turned to glare at him. "I'm going to work. And it doesn't take one person to get pregnant, dick. This is your mistake just as much as mine. Think about that."

      She slammed the door behind her, leaving Joe speechless. He sunk onto the carpet, a million thoughts racing through his head.