Let's Go Somewhere

The warmth of the coffee mug between her hands brought a small satisfaction compared to the draft around her, shivering as she brought the hot liquid up to her lips, gulping in relief as it warmed her somewhat.

     She looked at the bills in front of her, her bottom lip caught under her teeth as she nawed on it in contemplation.

     "What chya doin?"

    Stevie glanced up at Joe as he entered the kitchen, quickly averting his gaze as she focused back on her stress.

    He frowned, crossing his arms as he leaned against the counter, focusing on her sitting at the tiny kitchen table. "What, you're not talking to me now?"

      Silence.

    He let out a puff of air, heading towards the cabinets to grab a mug for himself. "It's fucking freezing in here."

    Stevie still didn't respond, zeroed in on the papers in front of her. He let out an irritated sigh, heading towards the thermostat, fiddling with it then cursing. "What the hell is wrong with this thing?"

    "They turned the heat off." She finally spoke, still not bothering to look at him as she held up one of the bills, a big red stamp across it.

    "You didn't bother to pay it?"

    She looked at him for the first time, the irritation in her eyes matching his own. "I somehow figured food was more important than heat Joe."

    "I don't need your sarcasm this morning. I've got a lot to do today."

    She didn't respond, pushing herself away from the table, grabbing her coat and the car keys off the hook.

    "Where do you think you're going?"

   "Work, Joe."

     "You're not even dressed for work."

    "I strip down to my underwear, as long as their matching nobody gives a shit." She spat out, glaring up at him when he blocked the front door.

    "I need the car today."

    "For what?"

    "I have errands to run."

    "I'm not going to sit around for two hours after work waiting for you while you get stoned."

    "I'm taking the car today Steph."

    "It's my fucking car!"

    They glared at each other for a minute, Stevie gritting her teeth then slamming the keys against his chest, pushing past him.

   "Where are you going?" Following her out the front door, seeing her heading for the stairs.

   "I'll walk."

    "It's freezing outside and it's five blocks away." She didn't respond, continuing on. "Steph I'll drive you!"

    "Fuck you." She spat over her shoulder, ignoring his protests.

   He gritted his teeth, quickly going down the stairs and jogging to catch up with her. "Stephanie come on, baby don't be this way." He grabbed her arm, startled when she shoved him away forcefully, causing him to stumble.

   Her dark eyes met his, rage underlying in her brown orbs. She spoke through gritted teeth, not breaking her stare. "I do not want you to touch me, I do not want you to talk to me, I want you to leave me the fuck alone."

   Joe was speechless, returning her stare with defeat in his eyes. She glared for a moment longer before whipping around and heading down the street.

..........

       Stevie pulled her  coat around herself, looking in the mirror and grimacing at the bags under her eyes. She pulled the money from her bra, counting through it somewhat satisfied.

   Heading out of the dressing room and towards the bar, she stopped in her tracks seeing the familiar curly dark hair, taking a deep breath before strolling confidently to the only open stool. Gracefully sitting down, she crossed one leg over the other, smiling at the bartender as he placed a drink in front of her. She turned her attention the man next to her, clearing her throat.

      Lindsey looked to his right, his breathing stopping momentarily as he meet her eyes. "Uh, hey."

    "So are you stalking me now?"

      He let out a crooked grin, starring down at his drink. "No, you made it pretty clear how you feel. Just stopping by for a drink." He meet her eyes again, a moment of silence passing between them as they waited for the other one to speak first.

   She took a giant sip of her drink, setting it down as she looked him in the eyes. "Let's go somewhere."

    "I'm sorry?" He was baffled by her words.

    "Anywhere. I don't care if it's the parking lot or a cheap hotel. Let's get out of here."

       His heart raced, even more so when her hand rested on his leg, dangerously close to his groin. Without taking his eyes off of her, he pulled out his wallet, tossing a couple bills onto the bar and sliding off the stool.

     Offering his hand, Stevie graciously took it as he helped her down, keeping it tightly clasped in her own. As he lead them out of the crowded room she could feel her heart beating extremely fast. Wether from excitement or doubt, she didn't care.