It's Ok

His head spun, clenching his eyes shut as he tried to block out the scene around him. His blackened vision only heightened his hearing, women crying, people yelling. He couldn't shake the aura of despair that surrounded the small waiting room of the clinic.

      Joe opened his eyes again, squinting at the bright lights. The strong smell that always came along with hospital visits was overwhelming, making him nauseous. He managed to make it over to the front desk without stumbling over his own feet, taking a deep breath.

     "Hello, how can I help you?" The receptionist behind the desk smiled at him, her personality too cheerful for his liking.

     "My girlfriend was brought in a few hours ago, Stephanie Nicks?"

       "Let me see." She looked down at her clip board, scanning over the list of patients. "Down the hall, third  section down."

      Joe nodded, thanking the woman before following the instructions. He turned down the hall, avoiding the somber faces around him. He glanced at the row of curtains that separated each patient, his heart racing as he got closer.

      Drawing back the curtain slightly, he poked his head in. He saw her lying on the bed, her body curled up as she lay on her side, an IV hooked to her arm. Millions of questions filled his head, swallowing the lump in his throat. "Steph?"

      She didn't acknowledge him, starring blankly at the blue cloth in front of her.

     "What's going on, are you ok?"

      "What'd they tell you?" Her voice was flat, still not moving to look at him.

    "Nothing. I got home and there was a message on the answering machine. Some girl named Ginger, she said she was taking you here. Steph what is going on, are you hurt?" He came around to her side of the bed, rubbing the back of her head as he desperately willed her to look at him.

      She pulled the blanket around herself tighter, tucking it under her chin. "The doctor said I miscarried."

      The silence between them was deafening, the clutter of sound around them fading out. He couldn't describe the feeling in his chest, his breath growing heavier with each inhale. "So you were..."

      She could only nod, a tear falling down her cheek, gliding down to her nose.

     "Oh baby I am so sorry." He took her hand, kissing it.

        "I was fine, then out of nowhere I got this weird cramp, and I started bleeding, there was so much blood. I didn't know what was going on."

      "The most important thing is that you're ok." He glanced at the machines around her, and the IV taped to her arm that trailed off of the single-sized bed, hooked on a bag. "What's in that?"

      "They put me on morphine for the pain, and to lower my stress levels."

       His question of why she seemed so out of it was answered, noting that she could barely keep her eyes open.

     "Where were you?"

      Her voice brought him out of his thoughts, rubbing the tiredness from his eyes. "I'm sorry?"

     "I tried calling you, I needed you."

     "I am so sorry baby, after work I met up with Keith and we headed down to Giligan's."

       "You were at the bar?"

      "Yes. And again Steph I am so sorry,  we got started talking about the album  and I lost track of time." 

      "I didn't know what was happening. I thought I was dying."

     "You are right here with me Steph, I promise you everything's going to be ok."

      "You're drunk." She simply stated, she still hadn't looked him in the eyes since he arrived, his nerves diving over a cliff.

     "N-no, baby-

     "I could smell the pot and whiskey as soon as you walked in the room Joe, please don't lie to me right now."

     He sighed, running a heavy hand through his hair. "Yes,
I had a few drinks, but baby I swear to you if I had know I would've been here, right by your side."

    "It doesn't matter anymore." Her voice was so numb, not an ounce of emotion hidden. "You have nothing to worry about, problem solved."

      "No, baby don't say that."

      "You told me yourself you didn't want a baby."

      "I never said that Steph, I never wanted this for you."

      "I was going to buy a test after work." Her throat closed up, tears spilling down her face as she whimpered.

     "It's ok baby." He tightened his grip on the back of her head, kneeling down to become eye level with her.

    "I shouldn't be crying, we didn't want a baby."

     "Stephanie look at me." He took her face into his hands, bringing his forehead to hers. "It is ok to be sad baby. What you're feeling right now is completely normal."

      "I don't want to be sad." She cried, her eyes falling shut as she gripped one of his hands tightly.

    "And I don't want to see you sad, it's breaking my heart right now. But if you need to cry, let it out. I'm here for you."

       Her tears fell harder as she weeped for the child she never got to know.