Testing Limits

"Nervous?"

     Stevie glanced over at Joe, gripping his hand he had placed over her thigh.

   They were cruising down the street, him offering to take her to her first day of 'work'.

   Stevie shook her head, swallowing the vile she felt rising in her throat. "No."

   On the inside her heart was pounding so hard she thought she might be experiencing a stroke.

       They turned into a driveway, hedges covering over either side. Her palms were sweating, trying to regain control of her breathing.

   "You really didn't have to drive me Joe."

   "Don't worry about it babe."

    Stevie just nodded, keeping silent.

   He pulled passed the hedges, both of their eyes widening seeing the extravagant mansion in front of them.

  "Holy shit Steph."

   Stevie didn't respond, transfixed by the beautiful home in front of her.

   He curved around the fountain that lead to the drive way, putting the car in park. He turned towards Stevie.

    "You're going to do great babe, don't worry about it."

   That wasn't what she was worried about.

  She forced a smile on her face, thanking him.

  "If you need anything I'll be at Keith's all day, just call there ok?"

   Stevie nodded, leaning over and placing a gentle kiss on his lips.

    Joe pulled away smiling, squeezing her hand as she got out of the car.

   Stevie straightened her black dress, smoothing out any wrinkles and making sure her boots weren't sliding down her legs.

    Turning her head she watched as Joe peeled out of the driveway, heading for the porch.

   She was entranced by the stone statues he had covering his front yard, his porch seeming like a hidden garden as vines hung over the top railing.

    Stopping in front of the door, she wondered if she should just go in or knock.

   Choosing on the ladder, her knuckles wrapped against the dark oak in front of her, standing back and taking a deep breath.

     It was a few minutes before the door swung open, Lindsey standing there with a beaming smile on his face.

   "You're here."

   Stevie just nodded, taking his gesture to come in and he shut the door behind them.

   She felt awkward, being met by his band members stares. They were sitting in the living room, instruments in hand and had faltered their actions seeing her come in.

   Lindsey ignored them, pressing a hand to the small of her back and guiding her to the kitchen.

   "Why don't you make you and I a drink." He lead her towards the liquor cabinet, showing her where the glasses were.

   Stevie nodded, not really sure what she was expecting. She stood on her tiptoes, trying to reach the glasses on the top shelf, sighing in frustration.

    She felt his body press against her from behind, her breathing freezing.  She watched as his arm reached up and easily grasped the the two glasses, bringing them down on the counter.