Never Break The Chain

The two men glared at one another from opposite sides of the jail cell, both handcuffed to the steel benches they were restrained to. They'd been there over night, sitting in total silence.

    The room was tense, not a word was said, their eyes boring in to one another's.

     Lindsey decided to speak first, breaking the silence. "Stevie never meant to hurt you."

   Joe gritted his teeth, wanting to strangle the man across from him. "Shut the fuck up."

   "Do you want the truth or not?"

  Joe glared at Lindsey, breaking first and laying his head against the wall. "How long?"

"Almost a month after she lost the baby."

Joe's nerves were rising. "She told you about that?"

"Yes. Then nothing happened after that until she started working for me."

"Is that why you hired her?"

"I don't owe you any fucking explanation."

"You owe me a lot more than that."

"I don't owe you shit. You attacked her." Lindsey sneered at him, actually thankful he was in handcuffs, fearing he might actually kill the man.

"I was drunk." He responded in a hostile tone.

"You tried to kill her." Lindsey spat back, with just as much hostility.

The cell grew tensely quiet, Lindsey tapping his foot out of anxious habit. He glanced up when Joe let out a laugh that was near hysteria.

"She's going to break your fucking heart, just like she did mine."

Lindsey didn't respond, counting to ten in his head. They both glanced up when they heard footsteps, an officer sliding the cell open.

He stepped towards Lindsey, pulling out a key and uncuffing him. Lindsey rubbed at the raw skin the metal had rubbed against, standing.

He shot Joe a glare, following the officer out of the cell and through the door.

He was lead to the front of the building, giving his belongs back to him in a plastic bag at the front desk.

"Lindsey!"

He turned around, catching Stevie when she launched herself in to his arms, holding her tight to his body. He buried his face in to the crook of her neck, holding her tight.

She pulled away, running her hands over his body as she examined him. "Are you ok?"

Lindsey shook his head, cupping her face and forcing her to look at him. "Are you? Stevie you look exhausted."

Her eyes were bloodshot, her face pale and the bruises around her neck were more prominent.

"I waited here all night, I couldn't sleep."

He pulled her back in to him, holding her tight.

They were pulled from their interactions by a police officer clearing his throat, drawing their attention.