Chapter One: Marry Up!

Vivi's POV
My mother will marry me off to any man who smells like a bank vault.

It has taken several catastrophic matches for me to realize that she won't stop lining then up. She started off picky and I'll admit her choices were good. The men were young and hot. But like everyone who starts with good intentions and is worn out by stubbornness she started picking them based on how deep the pockets are. It does not matter what they look like or how old they are, she just lines them up and I have gotten more aggressive.

It doesn't go without saying that I don't want to marry an old man. Oh no! I want a man who can keep up with me. No limpness or weak hearts allowed. That is why I have my eyes set on someone new... well not so new.

The first time my heart throbbed for a man was in a bar in Galway. I call it wrong place at the right time. I was trying my hand at waitressing, one of the many things I attempt to see if I can survive away from my mother.

His name is Nate. That is what I like to call him even though he said his name is Nathaniel with all that formality. He looked rich but not like those bratty heirs. It must have been the little things like the expensive gold wrist watch, the grey ash grey cashmere sweater and the way he carried himself. He's wasn't sloppy and loud like the Irish bastards I'm used to. He was seated at the bar with a friend who ended up leaving. I observed the brooding handsome devil for a while before I made my move to introduce with him, to flirt even.

"Vivi! Vivi!" My mother is such a pain! I tried not to roll my eyes. "Where are you going?"

"Outside."

"Why? All the bank vaults are in here! Work your way around here!" She smiled and gestured trying not to look crazy. "Please. Please pick a man. As long as you are marrying up it does not matter who. Just pick a man!"

The point is to marry up! Marry up! Marry up! I'm fed up with the words.

"Mother, desperation is an ugly colour on you. Excuse me." I pulled my wrists free making my way across the field of wolves hungering for young blood.

The first time I laid my eyes on Henrik Sinclair was at a boring soiree my mother dragged me to with the intention to... MARRY UP! I detest these high society parties that bore me halfway to death and back but this one ceased to be boring when I spotted my eye candy. The sight of him pleased my senses. He is the second man to make my heart throb but not as strongly as Nathaniel. I noticed him. I made a mental note that if I have no choices left, I'll pursue the French heir.

A beautiful mess of dark curly hair sits proudly on the crown of his head. It isn't that long but longer than what I would personally prefer. His eyes remind me of a perfectly cloudless summer sky yet there is always a storm forming deep inside. Those dangerous azure blue can get any girl swooning. He keeps his stubborn jaw cleanly shaved making him look like a boy. He is tall, muscular and graceful. He is perfect... my perfect guy to save me from mother's endless matches. If it's him I'll surpass my mother's demand to MARRY UP!

I could have met him sooner but we don't rotate in the same circle. We are all part of high society but there are financial levels from the fairly rich to the tremendously wealthy. Henrik comfortably fits in the tremendously wealthy. I hear he may have some noble blood in him. He's a trophy I must have.

After elbowing my way through the guests who purport to be here in the name of charity when all they are doing is flirting, I came into a lonely hallway. It's more quiet here. I have been following the French heir hoping to get him alone before mother dearest forces me to marry an old man.

My ears were graced by the soft melody of a piano. I followed the music until I got to the wooden double doors. Through the mere crack, there's a woman playing a piano. I don't know her but I know the man watching her. It's him. He seems utterly fascinated by her. I can't play any instrument. I just don't have those kind of fingers. I can play the strings of chaos rather well if that counts for anything.