Chapter fifteen: My Sons

Vivi's POV
"Hello," I smiled at the man. "My name is Mrs Zhang and I'm here to pick up my son."

He went through a sheet of paper and grumbled something. He led me to an office where I waited. Early this morning, someone came knocking on our door on the island. At first we hoped it was someone who is lost and they will go away. After all, who wants to leave the warmth of their bed at four in the morning to open a door?

It was one of Kai's friends. He informed to me that my son got arrested after getting into a fight with some young men. For starters, Kai is not supposed to be off the island at this hour. He should be in bed. Given he's an adult, we have him two simple options. To stay home and abide by our rules or to move out. He chose to stay. His curfew is at 11pm. He never came home.

Braving the cold morning air, I got on a speed boat and made my way to the mainland. Zeke wouldn't have bothered. He would have gone back to bed and taken his sweet time to save our son. I guess that is the difference between fathers and mothers.

"Mrs Zhang. How humble of you to show up!"

The head of police is a proud man. Pride people tick off my husband. An ugly confrontation resulted and they just don't see eye to eye anymore. My husband gets along with most people even those with difficult personalities. But with the chief, it just didn't work.

Not knowing how to respond without pissing him off, I smiled. "I have news that Kai Lin is in your custody."

"The troubled boy-"

"He's not troubled."

"The troubled boy started a fight. We have a peaceful town. We don't tolerate unnecessary violence. If that is how you do things on your island it is not how we do things here."

Kai Lin likes to start fires he can't out off. I'm not at all surprised that he started a fight although I must still hear it from him.

"What is the process?"

"Quite simple. He will be charged and taken to court."

"It's Saturday!"

"Yes. He stays in jail until Monday. No bail."

"Chief, things don't have to play out like this. I understand your indifferences with my husband but it has nothing to do with Kai Lin. He's a child."

"He's old enough to own an ID and drink in a bar. He's an adult. He will be treated as such. I'll see you on Monday."

I should leave but I won't. I can't just let him win. If he wins he will keep doing this. "Chief, maybe i wasn't clear enough. I'm here to take my son home. If you don't give him to me, I won't be responsible for the misfortunes that will befall you."

"Are you threatening me?"

"Yes." I stood up. I'm taller than he is. He is a chubby short man. I don't like short men. I stared him down. "What will you do about it Chief? Will I get my son right now and you drop these ridiculous charges or will I leave and wait for you to regret it?"

"Mrs Zhang... there is no need for threats. I'm sure it's a misunderstanding. I'll have my men sort it out right now." I didn't move to give him room. He squeezed past me and I never tore my eyes off him until he left. I couldn't help but burst out in laughter after he was gone. He was so scared! Zeke was right. Sometimes the eyes can do all the talking. I lounged in his seat waiting for Kai. He may get away from this because I don't want my husband going after the chief of police but he will still be responsible for his actions.

I rested my feet on the table picking the jar of candy. I slowly ate one piece after another. I wonder if Theo is as irresponsible and troublesome as Kai. My daughter took after her father but my sons are all me. I have resolved to tell Kai and Chen. Theo will have to wait a little longer.