Chapter Seventeen: Ghosts

Many months later...
Vivi's POV
I joined the triad for Li Jie but also for myself.

After what I went through with Armor Deveraux, I never wanted to be weak again. I never wanted to be a victim or the easy target. I wanted to be a force to be reckoned with even without Li Jie by my side. It's been a great life with him. He made sure to get all the fear out of me. I still remember the first time he pushed me out of a plane. He didn't tell me the intention was sky diving until he strapped a chute on me and said we are jumping. When I refused, he said he understands and we can call it off. But when I let my guard down, he buried me out. He jumped out howling like a wolf in a full moon. He's adventurous and such a dare devil! I love him. I will forever love him.

"Anything?"

"She's not coming. Her husband said it, not Chen." Kai informed me.

"It's the last time she will see him."

"I don't think she wants to remember him like this." I gazed at the man quietly resting in the casket. He seems peaceful. Li Jie is a strong man. Anything he sets off to do he finishes. But he's not invincible. There were ten of them. They nearly ripped him apart.

"Aunt." Li bowed his head when he reached the front. He's Wang Lei's oldest son. "Our condolences."

His brother's are with him.

"Thank you."

"After the burial, we have business to discuss."

"Can't you wait until his brother day is cold?" Kai frowned at his cousin.

"Kai, not today." I chided him. "After the funeral we will talk."

They left us. My husband named Li as his successor. He's the new boss. I have no objections. If my son is left to lead the triad we will all die. Li Jie knew how irresponsible he is and he chose to give the power back to Wang's family. His oldest son Lì is the new boss following Li Jie's death.

I'm not big on goodbyes. I would rather not say them. I never did on the day he left. We had a conversation about the coffee Kai bought. Li Jie didn't like it. He said he would get coffee on his way. He never even told me where he was going.  I never asked. We never said goodbye. I took that moment for granted when he said something to me and i didn't hear because I was trying to sleep. Just a few minutes more to snooze and i never got to say goodbye.

We got through the funeral without incident. His mother was inconsolable. I didn't even go near her. Kai and I kept to ourselves. I'm sure Chen must be devastated. We all are but I just don't know how to cry for him.

"What now?" Kai asked me.

We are on the upper floor of the Zhang family home in Beijing. My heart is heavy but my mind is wild with thought. Where did he go and who was he confronting before his death?

"What do you mean?"

"Chen is gone. Dad is gone." His voice hitched and his eyes welled up in tears.

I draped my arm over him pressing my lips on his cheek. "He would want you to live a normal life. That is why he didn't include you on the inheritance involving the triad. It doesn't mean he didn't love you."

"I know he loved me. The day before his death, when we went to town together we really talked. It's almost like he knew we wouldn't talk again. He loves me. I just don't know how to feel right now."

I rubbed circles around his back. "Do you still want to go to London?" I asked him.

"I can't leave you alone. There's no one else."