Chapter Seven: Your Protector

Zeke's POV
Certain things aren't always within a person's control. From the weather to who your wife is friends with. I am not Sly's biggest fan. There are certain things about her that never sit well with me and I won't pretend that I don't worry about the outcome of her friendship with Vivi. Yes, she is not a saint but Sly will make her worse. My nai nai made the introduction. I wasn't in favor and I was too late to get in between. They clicked as soon as they met. I chose not to be the man who controls who she makes friends with. But if she brings home a habit I don't like, I'll be more than glad to end their friendship.

I rang the doorbell once again when there was no response.

I don't have much time.

"Zeke! What a surprise!"

"Are you always eating?" I walked past her. She barely gave me enough room. I looked around the apartment. "Where is she?"

"Red? You just missed her."

I picked up her sweater bringing it to my nose. She's not sweet but her scent is. I set the sweater back down. I miss my wife. It's not everyday a man is privileged to marry a woman as lively as Vivi. My love for her hasn't been diminished by her secret past. I'm just hurt she didn't trust me enough to tell me . My mother is still asking for Chen. I can't give her my daughter. She will be raised by her mother.

"Not Red. The twin. Where is she?"

"What twin?"

I took the bowl from her. "The one you abducted from Sinclair's house. Here's a hint. She has red hair, green eyes and looks like my wife."

"I don't-"

"I swear if you pretend not to know, I'll smack the selective amnesia out of you."

"Fine." She sighed and pointed at a door. "Why are you looking for her?"

"Let her go."

"That is not what Red wants."

"Of course not. It's what I want and I want what is best for her. Let the woman go."

Sly scratched her head. She looked at me with a lot of doubt. "Zeke, you're above me in the food chain. You're up there with the apex predators. I don't want to be your prey. So I'm going to go for a walk. Sometimes I forget my key. Sometimes people come in because I left the door open. Sometimes people escape."

"Sly."

"Yes sir!"

"Tell Red to come here. Find a way to convince her but she must come here in the next hour."

She walked away.

I glanced at the door she pointed to.

There's a hit put out on Henrik and Vivi. I heard about it from an ally on the Russian side. I have to let this girl go so that it's her who ends up dead and not my wife. It can't be my Vivi.

I opened the door.

She looked up immediately making eye contact. They look like two peas in a pod but her eyes sell her out. She lacks the fire Vivi has. Sly has stuffed a sock into her mouth. I pulled it out. She took in s deep breath but broke into a panic when I revealed a knife. I cut the rope.

"Go."

"Why be are you helping me? Who are you?"

"It's not relevant. Go before I change my mind."

She ran out quickly.

I picked the brown sweater and took a seat quietly waiting for my dear wife. Chen has been crying herself to sleep. Her friend is not around. They are such children when they are together. I smiled to myself when I thought of how they would break things and then point at each other. I would reprimand Chen by pulling her ear and Vivi by making her experience the thin line between pain and pleasure. My smile faded. The little boy. I didn't want to save him. He's not mine to care about but I made sure Chen went over and brought him back to my house. I don't wish for him to get hurt.