Chapter Twenty One: Mommy and Daddy

Henrik's POV
My father never pursued me. Whenever I threw a fit and claimed personal space, he gave me the space. He gave me so much space I ended up being the one who would look for him. A lot of the things my father did are deeply ingrained in me and the plan was to raise my son the same way. My fatherhood was rudely interrupted by an untimely 'death' and he's twenty six years too old to be treated like a child.

I'm proud of the man he had become. He checked my whole list. My only concern is he handed a company built by Sinclair wealth to his ex wife. She's the CEO of Cruise de Marina. It should be ours but he gave it to her. I will try not to bring it up.

"Come on!" He whined when he found me comfortably seated in the living room. Cape Town was a place my father liked to come to. The house has a beautiful view of the park. It's normal to see a giraffe or two walking by. It's scenic especially in the morning when the animals go to the watering hole. I love this place. I spent a good chunk of my childhood here. "Why are you here? I left you a whole Chateau and you stalked me all the way to Africa?"

He dabbed the sweat off his body. He looks fit. He out on a shirt and headed to the breakfast table where two maids ate standing by.

"Leave us." I instructed them. "Theo, I understand your frustrations."

"I feel so fortunate that you do." He bit into a muffin made a face and spat it out. He's a brat. In my captivity food was scarce and when I did eat, it was mere morsels. Chris almost committed me to a hospital when I stumbled my way to his front door. I was thin. I have never been thin. I appreciate any meal.

"Both your mother and I have been away for too long and now that we are back you don't know how to process it."

"Actually I do. The plan is to avoid both of you."

"How does that solve anything? Problems don't go away because you avoid them. You have to face them."

"Like you faced yours?" He settled down with a cup of tea and  scones and jam. "You did an awesome job at being a man and protecting your family! I look up to you old man!"

His sarcasm is driving me to the brink of madness. "I don't care if I didn't raise you. By virtue of my blood flowing in through your veins, you'll respect me. I won't tolerate sarcasm or any sort of ill manners from you. You'll always be the child and I'll always be the father."

He stared at me. His eyes are defiant but I think he will grow up and be civil with me now that I'm clear.

"Why didn't you keep her safe? Why did she have to fend for herself? Why did another man do what you were supposed to do?"

"You know about Zeke."

"Li Jie and he's dead. He was murdered by the triad and they are chasing after her and my half brother Kai. Come to think of it, I'm exactly like you. She came to beg me for help and I turned her away. I refused to give her protection. Do you think we have a gene that is against helping Red?"

"Is she safe?"

"I don't know." He shrugged carelessly. He's a selfish little bastard.

If Zeke is dead, she's all alone. She must be scared. "Where did she go?"

"When I find my magic wand I'll wave it around and tell you."

It's taking a lot not to beat some sense into him. "Inlet your mother down. She was young and had no business being at the center of my storm. I dragged her into it with promises to keep her safe. You're right. I failed. It's important that you note this. It wasn't easy for her. She sacrificed her place with you to keep you safe. Armor Deveraux had a vendetta against her. If she ever came back your life would have been at risk."