New Places, New Allies

Chapter 27

(New Places,New Allies)

       It was late as Kailani stood looking out a small opening no bigger than the size of a large round kitchen platter. Poseidon’s daughter wanted no part of the Demigod War but she was beginning to think the choice to be involved or not might not be hers after all. She had tried to stay out of it but the Olympians offspring were seeking her out. After her short time with Ramiero she understood how dangerous Ramiero truly was; dangerous and desperate to win.

       As her eyes scanned the air she noticed a small bird not far away. Her mind immediately thought of Demitri and how quickly wildlife came to him. A smile crossed her face as she remembered the feel of his arms around her. A feeling she really wanted right then. She didn’t know where Artemis’ son was but hoped he was safe. Thoughts of her other friends entered her head as well. She wondered if Solana and the others were okay. She wondered who else had become a prisoner.

      “Ah, mm,” Kailani turned at the sound of grunts. She watched as Saar’s hazel eyes slowly opened.

       “Don’t,” Kailani said gently as her half-brother went to move.

        “Uh,” he said and hissed before ceasing his attempt to sit up.

        “Careful Saar. Ardin hit you pretty hard,” Kailani warned. “I’m not sure he didn’t use you as a punching bag after Ramiero dragged me out of the room.” She watched as her brother looked around the room. “Marius stopped Ramiero from trying to take advantage of me,” she told him.

         “So we are Marius’ prisoners now. I’m surprised he took me.”

         “Kailani asked me to.” Poseidon’s two children looked at a now open door to see Marius, Zelda and Andrew.

        “Why?” Saar asked confused.

       “I didn’t want Ramiero to kill you,” Kailani told him.

       “I didn’t try or even want to protect you,” Saar told her openly honest. “I didn’t care what he did with you.”

       “I know,” she replied. “You see me as some crazy threat. Look Ramiero is just….evil. He’d have killed you in cold blood. I don’t want anyone dead. Like it or not we are family and…a person should protect their family; even ones that hate them.” Glancing at Marius she added, “I do appreciate you stopping Marius. When family is wrong they should be corrected and you did. Though if he comes at you I wouldn’t hesitate. While you should try and protect family sometimes you have to let go of the insane ones.” Looking at Saar once more she said, “You’re not insane. Angry and even hurt but not insane.”

       “Have you made your decision?” Marius asked watching Kailani.

        “I still don’t want any part of this but I definitely don’t want Ramiero to win,” she replied less than thrilled. “I don’t know how much help I can be to anyone. I don’t have the knowledge or control of my powers that the rest of you do and you know it. Still, I won’t hinder you either.”