The Race

Chapter 8

(The Race)

Raiden brushed his stallion and looked over the horse to make sure the animal didn’t have and loose shoes or anything else that might impede a good race. Once he’d finished making sure there was nothing wrong he took out a brush and began to give the animal a good brushing.

The brown haired man was quiet as he prepared for the race. He was somewhat curious why they were racing for a player but knew she must have something all four teams needed.

“Getting ready I see.”

Zeus’ son looked back to see Stewart by the open stall door. “Yeah. Wanted to make sure Toren’s shoe had been fixed,” He said gesturing to a front left shoe.

Stewart nodded. “She did really well.” The guard watched as the demigod stopped and looked at him. “Kailani scored very well. She might be lacking in archery and daggers but nowhere else. Well experience perhaps but even then she has natural ability.”

“Is that why there’s a race?”

“Yes. Channing figured it was the fairest way to place her. Ford won’t want her on Marius or Ramiero’s team but if it happens today than Channing can’t be blamed,” The blonde man explained. Raiden nodded and started brushing the stallion’s mane. “I’d like to see her on your team.”

Raiden’s medium blue eyes looked his direction. “You may not show it but I know you sense things are…”

“Destabilizing,” Raiden offered.

“Yeah. Someone’s going to make a power move,” Stewart warned. “The girl is young and powerful but she doesn’t know what’s happening. She needs someone to guide her.”

“Ford will look out for her,” Raiden assured him.

“Yes he will. Ford’s a shifter though, not a demigod. He can’t help her in ways you can,” Stewart said becoming very serious. “The power you have may be different but you can help Kailani learn control if a war breaks out. She’s going to need guidance from someone that won’t misguide her. You may have acted in your best interest at times but never where it would hurt someone. There’s not a demigod or demigoddess here that hasn’t with the exception of Poseidon’s daughter. She’s not here on a power trip.”

“She’s cooperating for the chance to see her mother,” Raiden said knowingly before letting out a sigh. “Necia sees her as a threat and so will others. I think Tallulah does as well.”

“I don’t know about Tallulah. I’d say she tested her and didn’t like the result but…I don’t know,” Stewart admitted. “I’d be more concerned with Saar. He’s always been the top water demigod here and I think Kailani is stronger. He may very well see his new sister as a threat.”

“I hadn’t thought about it but you have a point,” The brown haired demigod realized. “I was going to try and win anyway but…I’ll work harder.” Stewart nodded and turning left the demigod and his horse behind.

Raiden sighed; his medium blue eyes holding concern for the new demigoddess. ‘Kailani does not need in the middle of a real battle ground.’

**

Marius looked his black horse over ensuring there were no issues. His right cheek still hurt from a blow he’d received from Willem but he wouldn’t let the pain detour him. Winning today would give him time with Kailani that even Ford couldn’t stop. An arrogant smile crossed his face at the thought. ‘You can’t keep her if I win Ford.’ He felt even more pleased knowing win or lose she wouldn’t be on Willem’s team.