Rivals will Fight

Chapter 6

(Rivals will Fight)

Demitri finished his tasks and headed for the infirmary. He passed a few people before entering a room with beds in it. Dex was the only one there so none of the curtains were draw. The demigod had a hard time not laughing seeing the injured shifter on his stomach looking as bored as could be.

“Dex.”

“Come to laugh at me as well?” The shifter grumbled.

“No actually I wanted to find out what happened,” Demitri replied sitting down in a chair near Dex’s head.

“I would think that would be obvious,” He growled.

“The fact you got shot in the butt is but not how,” The light brown haired demigod replied. “She can’t be so lousy of a shot that she shot behind her.” He watched as Dex suddenly looked guilty. “Dex?”

“I was supposed to scare her.”

Demitri looked at the shifter less than pleased. “Why would you…”

“Necia caught me sneaking into Cornelius’s beer stash. She threatened to tell unless I scared Kailani during her test.”

“I take it, it worked.”

“I never got the chance to scare her she shot the arrow, missed the target; barely, and I was crouched down behind a bush and…”

“Arrow hit the bush and you,” He replied.

“Yes,” Dex said completely embarrassed.

“You better tell Cornelius and you owe Kailani an apology,” Demitri scolded. “She feels terrible about it.”

“I know but….He’s going to be pissed,” Dex sighed.

“So will Channing when you tell him what you were up to,” The son of Artemis warned.

“He doesn’t…” a stern look from Demitri and the shifter knew better. “Oh alright,” Dex conceded grudgingly.

“Good. I need to go meet with Kailani now. Thanks to you she has to do extra lessons with me,” Demitri informed him getting up.

“I’m sure that breaks your heart.” Demitri looked at the redhead questioningly. “Kailani’s a pretty girl.”

“It’s just archery lessons Dex,” The demigod said annoyed. “The girl’s only sixteen.”

“What’s your point?” The injured shifter asked. Demitri shook his head and left without replying. “Sixteen is mature enough. Not like gods care about age anyway,” The shifter mumbled to himself once he was alone again.

**

Kailani reached the target range and was surprised to see Willem and another guy she recognized she’d accidentally gotten wet along with someone she hadn’t seen before.

“Hi. Willem right?” She asked looking at the blonde man.

“You remembered,” Willem said pleased.

Kailani smiled at him and the other person she’d drenched. “Sorry about the water earlier. I have no idea what happened.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Willem replied with a shrug completely unconcerned.

Kailani nodded and looked at the other person she’d gotten wet. “I didn’t get your name earlier.”

“Lerato,” the darker blonde man replied.