Clearly underestimated

Chapter 20

(Clearly underestimated)

Maureen sat quietly in her favorite reading chair. She held a book she was reading in her right hand while in her left hand she held a bag of ice to her cheek where a bruise had formed from her run in with Ramiero.

“Good book?” Maureen’s eyes shot up to see Zeus son Raiden and is daughter Illithia. Raiden watched as absolute fear rushed over her eyes. “I’m not going to hurt you,” The blonde demigod assured her. “We need to know where Kailani went.”

“It won’t be good if Ramiero reaches her first,” Justin said coming up on the other side of Illithia.

“I’m sure you don’t want Kailani to suffer at his hands,” The blonde woman said in a calm but concerned way.

“I don’t know. Narissa and Kailani’s mother met at the house. They were headed to Narissa and her mother’s special place. I don’t…”

“Valley Forge,” Justin said knowingly. “Justine and Narissa have talked about it.”

“We probably wouldn’t make it there before anyone else,” Illithia said concerned.

“Kailani and Margaret’s place is their next destination,” Maureen offered up.

“We have no idea where that would be,” Tallulah said disappointed.

“Florida,” Stewart said standing by the back sliding glass door. “Kailani was raised in Pensacola, FL. It’s a beach town, in the United States.”

“Thank you Maureen.” Zeus son turned and headed for the back door.

“You won’t hurt her.” Raiden stopped and looked back at her. “She’s trying to stay out of this.”

“I won’t hurt Kailani,” The demigod assured her. “I need her but I won’t hurt her.” Maureen watched in silence as Raiden and his group left the way they’d come.

The dark haired woman had hoped to feel relieved but she didn’t. Raiden had said he wouldn’t hurt her but the fact he’d said he needed her concerned her. Maureen wanted to believe he needed her help to secure his father’s place but wasn’t so sure. Something about the look in his eyes concerned her. He was a son of Zeus and the woman was well aware of how demanding the King of the Gods could be when he wanted something. Zeus never seemed to take no for an answer.

‘Be safe Kailani,’ she thought to herself.

**

“Slow down Narissa!” Solana called as the curly brown haired girl sprinted toward the doors of the Washington Memorial Chapel.

“You know that isn’t going to happen right?” Justine asked coming up beside the redhead. Apollo’s daughter shook her head but nodded. It had been a while since their friend had seen her mother.

Narissa and Kailani both reached the doors to the chapel and flinging them open they headed for the sanctuary. “Mom!” Narissa said as they entered the sanctuary. The two girls looked around but there was no sign of their mothers anywhere.

“Maybe they haven’t…” Kailani stopped noticing something was reflecting light of off it, down by the alter, at the front of the sanctuary. Slowly the teenager walked down the aisle way toward whatever was on the ground.

“What is it?” Narissa asked watching the girl for a moment and then following. Kailani reached down and picked up a glittery pink and black leopard hair clip. “Kailani?”

“They were here,” The blonde woman said standing tall once again. “This is mine,” She said showing her friend the barrette. “My mom made it for me last year for my birthday.”