Anger and Understanding

Chapter 3

(Anger and Understanding)

It was early as Kailani walked along side her guardian toward the beach. Ford had told her Poseidon had chosen to meet with her at Dawn so was not surprised when he showed up.

The teenager had chosen to wear a pair of cutoff jean shorts and a tank top. In her mind if she didn’t look like she belonged to a god he might not want her. With any luck she could be reunited with her mother by nightfall. She had even thrown her hair up in a clip without brushing it. The least presentable the better the teenager had thought.

As her foot touched the beach she couldn’t help but smile. Without a thought to what she was doing she removed her flip flops and began walking on the white sandy beach. She gave a pleased sigh as the sand massaged her feet as she walked.

Kailani had always loved the beach. Unlike some kids she had never feared water or anything associated with it. The sea had always been a source of comfort for the blue-green eyed girl. It didn’t matter what was going on in her life or how upset she was a trip to the beach seemed to always cure any ailment. The sea felt like home.

She closed her eyes as a gentle wind barely blew through her bangs. With her eyes still closed she continued to walk forward; never looking where she was going. Even when her feet finally touched wet sand the blonde girl continued forward. It wasn’t she was ankle deep in the water that she allowed her eyes to open.

Kailani glanced back to see Ford was just out of reach of the wet sand but clearly watching her. She smiled at him as he stood on clearly dry land. “Afraid to get wet?” The girl teased.

“No but its early and the water is cold.”

“No it’s not,” Kailani replied.

Ford smiled. “Water feels differently to me than it does to you,” The shifter informed her.

“What do you mean?” She asked turning to face him completely but not leaving the water. “I know when water is cold.”

“You feel water differently than I do,” He replied. “That water is only 60 degrees.”

“No it’s not. It’s at least 80,” She assured him.

“You’re a Water Demigoddess; water temperatures don’t affect you like they do me. Or at least like they do when I’m in this form,” Ford explained.

“So you can turn into something else where the water won’t affect you so much?” She questioned. Seeing him nod she said, “What else can you turn into besides human and eagle?”

“Many things.” A voice said from behind her.

Kailani stiffened surprised by the sound but only momentarily. She looked at Ford who gave a single nod that it was in fact Poseidon. Slowly she turned to face the God of the Sea.

Poseidon couldn’t have been more pleased. He’d sensed her the moment she’d entered the water. It seemed to him the very sea was rejoicing at her presence. “Ford has the ability to turn into a creature of the sea or two; making him an excellent choice of a guardian for you.”

“Return me to my mother,” The young woman said far more straight forward than she had intended. “You have other children you can’t possibly need me. Your wife can’t possibly want you to…”

“Amphitrite does not mind,” He replied. “If she had she wouldn’t have offered to care for you as an infant; she was disappointed when I didn’t return with you after you were born,” Poseidon told her. “She was rather looking forward to raising a daughter.”