A dept paid

Disclaimer: This is my story I own all rights and characters.

Water Goddess

Chapter 1

(A debt paid)

Margaret sighed as she drove down the highway. She glanced over at her sleeping teenage daughter. ‘She’s never going to understand.’

The dark haired woman thought back on the deal she had made so long ago. If she had realized what would happen she never would have invoked the God of the Sea’s presence. She’d been young though and her mind had been clouded by the need to be the best.

Her sister had been captain of the cheerleading squad and she’d wanted to stand out as well. Things came easily for Janice but Margaret had always had to work hard for anything she wanted. She’d barely made the swim team and after a bad meet the coach had threatened to kick her off the team. Her parents had even come down hard on her for her mistakes. In desperation she’d called out to the God of the Sea.

“I’ll do anything if you just make me a winner.”

“Anything?” Poseidon had questioned.

“Anything.”

“I will give you the ability to out swim anyone you compete against for 4 years. During which I will have full use of your body.”

“But I’m in school!” She’d argued. “I can’t take the chance of getting pregnant!”

“Very well at the end of four years you will belong to me for a time.”

“Six years,” She’d countered. “If I were to get pregnant I would have to drop out of college,” Margaret had told the God of the Sea.

“You will give me four years and I will allow you to continue to win through your college. At the end I will exact my usage of your body.”

“Fine.”

“Should any children be conceived they will belong to me.”

“Agreed.”

The mortal woman hadn’t given it another thought. She’d been the best swimmer from then on. Winning every meet her last two years; and through four years of college. Margaret had been unstoppable.

It wasn’t until she’d turned up pregnant during the last year of her pact with Poseidon that she began to understand what she’d done. The moment Kalani was born Margaret had wanted to keep her.

“The child is mine Margaret. You agreed to my terms,” Poseidon had replied when she’d begged to keep her daughter.

“Please. I’m her mother. I can’t lose her. Please, give me time with her,” Margaret had begged the sea god.

Poseidon had reluctantly agreed. He’d agreed to let her keep Kalani until she was ten. Margaret had argued for 16. Exasperated with the woman’s crying he’d agreed but warned that if she did not surrender his daughter 16 years to the day he would wreak revenge in a way she couldn’t imagine. Margaret had agreed.

The sixteen years had passed and now Margaret had to surrender a daughter that knew nothing of her father. The mortal woman frowned as her green eyes looked over at the unsuspecting girl. ‘Your life will never be the same.’

She turned off the highway and headed down a country road. As she got further away from civilization the road narrowed; allowing only one car on the roadway at a time.