(Finale Part 2) Chapter 48: Death and Dispair

Warning. Sensitive things happen in this chapter. You have been warned.

Jason

As he climbed the final staircase he unsheathed his sword, it's edge glittering wickedly in the candlelight. The hall was empty apart from the distant yells coming from below, but he wasn't bothered. There was only one thing he was focused on.

A vampire hissed from the shadows, leaping out onto him. Jason sliced the sword downward, then stabbed the vampire through the heart without hesitation, and continued down the hall like it was nothing.

The wooden door at the end of the magnificent hallway was plain, designed so if there was an attack, the attackers would pass it off as a servant's quarters. The hybrid knew what was truly behind that door.

He didn't taunt, knock or burst through to cause panic or confusion. They knew he was there. There was no need for the dramatics.

He opened the door calmly and stood there, observing the room carefully.

"Jason."

The former king stood in the middle of the bedroom, shielding his wife from view. "Jason. You don't have to do this."

"Of course. I don't have to." The hybrid ran his finger down the edge of the blade. The cut vanishing as soon as it appeared. "But I'm going to."

"What our son did had nothing to do with us."

"Maybe not," Jason took a step forward. "But I would enjoy seeing how Cole and Angeline deal with growing up without parents. Like my sister and I had to... Call it 'doing me a favor'."

Jason raised his sword and Lizette stood out from behind her husband. "Jason. Your mother wouldn't want this."

"Dead people don't want things. As you're about to experience."

"You will not speak to my wife that way!" Xavier unsheathed his own sword and Jason moved into action.

The former king lurched forward, slashing out in an arc, forcing the hybrid to duck under the blade. Jason instantly dropped under, sweeping out his legs and attempting to catch the pureblood off guard.

Xavier, having had accounted this before, jumped up quickly. While he was distracted Jason calmly moved back, giving himself room again.

"You've grown sloppy old man."

The pureblood warily moved back as well, having seen the speed and strength that his opponent moved with. "Jason, you know you can't kill us. You don't have the right weapon for it. Stop this."

"That's where your wrong." Jason moved his sword so that they could see the blade.

"I made this sword myself. It's bathed in the blood of a hybrid... My blood," he smirked at the shock on the royals faces. "Hybrid blood is very poisonous to Purebloods. Well, vampires in general. I found that out when a vampire tried to kill me a couple of hundred years back. One bite of my neck and he was laying on the ground, grasping at his throat. A few minutes later he was coughing blood. Then, seconds later, dead."

Lizette made a small movement towards the dresser and the hybrid pointed the sword at her. "Not another step."

Xavier let out a battle cry, parrying the poisoned blade away and following up with a whirlwind of forehands, backhands, side and overhead cuts. Jason fell back, defending each blow with ease, tiring out the pureblood.

When Xavier pulled back his breath was heavy. He looked surprised.

"Feeling tired? Probably an aftereffect of giving all your power to Angeline. Pity."