Chapter 17: Gifts

(I dont like this Chapter XD)

Angeline

The vampire princess swept down the corridor in her beautiful deep blue gown. Hayden's was modeled off her own, the vampires having the same crystals and diamonds as the humans, but with a different color. It was important to have those in the royal house to be wearing the house colors, in this case being dark blue and gold. She nearly skipped up to her brother, and fiancés, bedroom. Knocking playfully twice, she opened the door with a flourish and leaned on the frame without waiting for a reply. Cole stood there in front of the full length mirror. With his classic ball clothing, his expression was more one of irritation as he tried to do up the tie which was refusing to budge.

Angeline walked smoothly over, slapping his hands away and tying it for him, then looking up at him and quietly teasing. "You know for a supernatural creature who is hundreds of years old, shouldn't you know how to do a tie by now?" He grinned and she stood on tippy toe and gave him a small yet meaningful kiss.

She broke off after a few seconds and he frowned. "What's the matter?"

"Hayden." She answered in explanation, "she just won't accept her life now. Even though I gave her everything."

"Maybe poisoning her wasn't the way to go?" Cole suggested carefully and she shrugged

"Maybe not, but it is effective."

He couldn't argue with that, having had to use the poison himself a few times in the past. He could remember one party.... Cole grinned. "Is he going to be here tonight?"

She understood immediately who he was referring to and nodded. "He said that he wouldn't miss this for the world. Sounded slightly sarcastic about it too. But our cousin is delightfully excellent at keeping his secrets to himself."

"True, I'll keep an eye on him." He grinned darkly and she swatted his arm.

"Try not to start any blood feuds tonight? It is a special night after all."

He smiled. "Sure, after all, we have a human to worry about. Let's try to keep her from killing herself at least till midnight?" He hated the human, but she mattered to his sister, so that meant that if she died it would make Angeline VERY angry. The last time that happened.... Well, it wasn't pretty.

She frowned. "Don't worry, I think I have a solution to that."

Angeline smiled and then continued the kiss that they had started but this time he pushed her away softly and grabbed a small box off his bedside table, holding it behind his back and out of sight.

"Oh you didn't!" She went to grab it from behind him but he stopped her with one hand and a wicked smile. Angeline stood there with her hands on her hips and pouted.

"Cole."

"Angie."

She grinned, dropping the anger act and tilted her head to the side. Then, the same wicked grin came over her face as she leaned in and kissed him, long and passionately, before plucking the present out of his hands and turning away, sitting on his bed and pulling the strings on the box.

Cole rubbed the lipstick off his lips with his thumb and ruffled up his black hair in a resigned manner. "You cheated. You can't keep doing that."

She gave a ringing laugh and leaned on his shoulder as he sat next to her on the bed. Cole turned her head to the side, kissing her on the forehead. A brother kiss. And then muttered in her ear. "Happy Birthday Angeline."

She opened it and couldn't help but gasping. Laying there on the silk bed was a necklace. It was golden and embedded in it were sapphires and diamonds. A round fortune. Angeline smiled and stood, walking over to the mirror. Cole, standing behind her, fitted the tiny clasp and smiled at her in the reflection. She fingered the small yet beautiful charm and smiled back.

"Thank you."