Chapter 38: Helpless

The whole thing about not being able to go anywhere by myself was causing some paranoia issues. It wasn't just that I was worried my every move was being watched, but also the fact that walking out and avoiding my guard made me more concerned that at any moment he was going to appear at my shoulder and bring me back to my room. If this was a movie then I imagined mission impossible music playing in the background. Putting a light-hearted view on the situation. But instead the reality was that I was sweating so badly that I didn't think that the guard would have had much trouble sticking to me.

I walked down the hall as confidently as possible, trying my best to keep my shoulders straight and act like I had somewhere to be. Which I did. I was ten minutes late actually. I had to get down to the kitchen. I passed a few people on the way there but continued on my way without being stopped. The bandages on my hands itched and I longed to have them off and to regain the usage of my hands.

As I neared the kitchen a pleasant smell met my senses but also a sound of voices. Loud ones.

I cursed to myself. How was I going to get to the door without the kitchen staff seeing me?

Before I could make up my mind a young girl with blonde wavy hair and an apron walked around the corner, almost right into me. She let out a small exclamation but before I could do anything, she pulled me in the door, locking it behind her and quickly shoving me through the kitchen, and out the back door into the grounds. I stared at her open mouthed and remembered what Jason said. "I have... A few friends around here."

The girl nodded to me and shut the door without a sound.

"I see you met Bianca." Jason walked around a pillar holding a long case over his shoulder.

"Is she...?"

"She's a werewolf. Actually volunteered for this task. Not an easy one mind you. She had to take the same poison that you do. But hers is because it masks the fact that she's a werewolf from everyone else. It helps her blend in and collect information."

I couldn't help but feel an enormous amount of respect for the spy. To put herself in a situation like that... I held my hand out for the case and he nodded, handing it over and leading the way into the trees and further out of range of the mansion.

Jason turned back to me finally and began undoing the bandages around my hands. A few ugly scars stood out and my hands were a bit stiff. But apart from that, they felt alright.

I set up the bow like I usually would, stringing it and making sure everything was in order. Everything seemed to be coming back to me. Until I pulled back the string.

My hand stretched and my tendons were having none of it. I lowered the bow. "I can't do this. My hands are too injured. They will never get better in time. Not with the state I'm in." I pulled back the arrow again and aimed at a tree a few metres away but my hand was shaking so badly that I couldn't stay focused. The arrow released but skidded into the ground a good two metres away from the target.

I tried to ignore the tears that were slowly falling and drew another arrow, refusing to belief it. But the same thing happened.

I felt Jason come up behind me and grab my hands. "iI's ok." He guided my arms, holding the bow steady and releasing the arrow, which slammed into the target.

But it wasn't me.

Jason came into my view, taking the bow out of my hands and laying on the ground. "Hayden. It's okay. You will be able to shoot again. You just need to give it time. Your hands will heal. And you have other strengths. You will just have to focus on them for the time being."

I nodded numbly and allowed him to guide me back to the house.