Chapter 21: Call The Bluff

I sat up, my head throbbing, and leaned against the wall. "What do you want?"

Angeline swung the keys on her finger. I couldn't help but eye them, my only ticket out of here. She smirked and my blood chilled.

"I'm here to give you the antidote, we don't want you dying down here, do we?"

"Screw you."

"Now now Hayden, we both know that's not how you should be speaking to me."

My head spun through the various ways that I could die in this moment and I swallowed, but forced myself to stay standing.

"Hayden... Would you be a dear and tell me what happened last night... Or do I have to beat it out of you?"

I think that it was the way her voice was so controlled, keeping back the rage that I knew was threatening to break, that terrified me the most.

"I.... He-"

"Hurry up please, my patience runs short quickly."

"H-he attacked Owen, and a-and I stopped him from killing my only friend in this place."

Suddenly there was a dagger embedded in the crack of stone right next to my cheek and I flinched away, covering my head with my hands and crouching.

"Your only friend in this place yeah? What what exactly am I?"

Well... Tactical error.

"You... Were my friend... For a long time." I stood again and felt something running down my cheek. The dagger had cut the skin. "But now... It's like I hardly know you."

Her eyes flashed and for a moment I swore I could see sadness but then it was quickly replaced with anger. She unlocked the cell and I stood back, bracing myself for anything.

The dagger. My eyes landed on the bronze hilt and I knew what to do. Kinda. Angeline laughed as I quickly grabbed hold of it. It was stuck fast into the stone bricks. The accuracy unnerved me. That dagger would have rebounded off the wall with the strength that she threw it but no, she managed to aim it that it went straight into a crack and stayed there. I yanked on it desperately and could feel Angelines presence behind me. I whirled around, defenceless and she smiled, so much like in school.

"Tell me, Hayden... If you had the chance, could you truly convince yourself to kill me? If your life depended on it, would you... Could you... Plunge a dagger into my heart?"

She leaned over me, cowering in the corner and I flinched as she pulled the dagger out of the stone with ease.

She pressed the dagger into my hands and smiled coldly.

I gripped the hilt, my knuckles white.

"Do it."

My eyes widened and my grip tightened.

"Do it and you can go home"

I froze. Lies. I would die if I killed the princess. Probably immediately.

For a moment I was tempted. But then a memory came to surface, of many years ago when it was my first day of school and I walked over to a friend group, then a young girl with black hair and blue eyes appeared. And I remembered looking at her and thinking. Either my best friend or my deadliest enemy.

The dagger clattered to the floor as it slipped out of my fingers. I couldn't do it.

Angeline smirked. "Knew you didn't have it in you. You're no threat." She punched me in the face and I felt something crack in my jaw. My eyes watered as I fell to the floor and through my hazy vision I watched as Angeline locked the cell behind her, and disappeared from sight.

She took the freaking dagger. I turned on my side, pressing my cheek gingerly. The cut had scabbed over. I stared down at the blood on the ground. My blood. How the heck did this happen to me? I groaned, sitting up and leaning against the wall. The antidote would last me a few hours. At best. Hours had already passed since Angeline came. I could never be sure how many.

I could feel myself slowly nodding off but the sound of footsteps immediately made me alert once more.

Two guards came around to the front of my cell, in their dark robes and expressionless faces I was reminded strongly of the Ringwraiths. I moved back.

"Get away from me." My voice was strong, commanding even, but I was certainly not their master. One brought forward the same keys that Angeline used and I found myself yet again wishing that I could get my hands on them. The guard opened the cell and I moved back further.

"You are to come with us at once."

"Yeah? Go to hell." I spat at their feet and just as they moved closer, hissing, another familiar figure appeared.

"If you don't mind, I will escort her. He is my lord after all." The same guard as before walked around them and I stood still, wary. He took hold of my arm and I went with him after a moment's hesitation. His lord? Jason Monterio?

He whispered in my ear as we went through the door into the main mansion. "Calm down, your heart is going at a million times a hour. As far as I know, you're not in trouble."

I forced the tension in my shoulders to let go but I couldn't shake the familiar feeling of being unable to control what was happening to me. It was not a feeling that I enjoyed.

We continued, unchallenged, until we were met with a mahogany door with a gold knob, closed. The guard paused, letting go of my arm, and knocked on it three times.

He turned to me. "Here you're on your own, my lord has not requested my presence, only yours."

I glanced at the door, then back at his face, half hidden by the hood. "Why is it that you seem to be the only person in this place with a heart?"

He gave me a small, genuine smile and I blinked.

"Because I'm not like them." He nodded towards the door, "you should go in, though a kind person, he does not like to be kept waiting."