Chapter 24: Game

"I saw you out there today Hayden." Angeline's soft voice came from the other side of the room and I turned, piling up the new towels that had been delivered to my room on top of a set of draws. I continued packing my new clothes that a servant had delivered and other utilities into the drawers as well, trying not to make eye contact with the vampire.

"Hayden." She tried to get my attention again and I couldn't ignore her any longer.

"Yes?"

"What were you doing out there? Especially even when earlier I had warned you against leaving your room?"

"Well, a vampire could easily come into my room, right? I figured being with a pureblood would probably increase my chances of survival."

She frowned, like she hadn't thought of that and nodded slowly. "But why that pureblood? You don't know him and my cousin does not do anything without reason."

I couldn't exactly tell her that we were plotting against her so I told a half-truth.

"I asked him to tell me more about all... This." I gave a vague gesture.

Her expression changed to one of alarm. "What do you mean? What did he tell you?"

I took a small step back. "Relax, he only told me about the werewolves."

Despite my suggestion she seemed to get even more worried. "What about them??"

"Nothing! He just told me they existed!"

She turned away. "I need to have a word with Jason... He should not be speaking about these matters lightly." She began to turn away but then changed her mind, "Hayden, try not to make a fool of yourself at my coronation ceremony?"

My heart jumped. How long had I been here? I didn't even know the date. A few months at most? "When is that by the way?"

The princess seemed either about to jump from excitement, or terror. Even she must be feeling the pressure. "In a few days. I'm talking with my brother about preparations, and mother and father are going to be back by then from their trip. They need to be present." She walked over to me, grabbing both of my hands, "please Hayden, don't do anything rash! I want you to be there, but this is a day that cannot be interrupted!" It almost seemed like she was begging, and she seemed to realize it too because she let go and stood straight, clearing her throat.

"I need to be off. Please stay in your room. Listen to music or something. Just.... Don't leave."

I abandoned the clothes and fell back onto the bed. Massive headache. Must be the poison. How much of it would be left in my system? And how long until Angeline decided to readminister the poison? I certainly didn't have long. But I could just hope that it was long enough for me to wear it out so I could escape without fearing the repercussions.

Angeline turned away, walking out the door. The last thing she said was. "Hayden. Stay."

My god. I'm not a dog.

I laid back on the bed and ran my hand absentmindedly over the covers. Jason wouldn't be expecting me today, not with Angeline prodding around. So it looked like this time I had to just sit here. Maybe play a game of Uno with myself. I stared at the ceiling and closed my eyes.

***

"Up you get Hayden." My mother's voice came out of the darkness and I turned over.

"Not yet mum.... My alarm hasn't even gone off yet." I muttered into my pillows, then I opened my eyes.

Just a dream.

Angeline stood there on the side of the bed. Judging by her expression I had been talking in my sleep. I covered my face with my hand and found that my eyes were wet.