Chapter 1: Shadows

It was all in shadows. I knew there was something big in the darkness, something big and alive. Two huge red eyes loomed out of the darkness right in front of me, I could feel myself shaking. It lunged at me barring its giant teeth.

I woke up and immediately puked over the side of the bed. Oww, headache. All I could see was darkness but I swear I could still feel those red eyes watching me. I knew I was covered in sweat and other mess, so I decided to take a quick shower. I checked the alarm clock beside my bed, 3 AM. I turned on the light and gave a start as I saw blood on my arm. "What the hell?" I muttered quietly as I saw the bite mark on my shoulder. I stiffly stood up and stumbled towards the bathroom.

I turned on the water and let it run as I tried to work out what had happened. Did I bite myself? I'm pretty sure I didn't. The bite-marks looked like an animals'. I got in the shower and sighed as the hot water ran over my body. Suddenly I doubled over as white hot pain traveled through my body, like someone had stuck a boiling barb wire though my arm. Then it was gone. I stayed in the same position for a few seconds, not knowing if straightening up would cause a relapse. When I was sure it was gone I carefully switched the water off and wrapped my towel around me. On the way out I grabbed a packet of bandages from under the sink. It kind of scared me that I'd had a nightmare like that, and woken up with a bite. It was a long time before I could get to sleep.

***

Two hours later I woke up to the sound of my stupid alarm clock, AKA my sister.

"GET UP!" She yelled in my ear.

"Ulhh..." I groaned into my blankets and threw a pillow at where I guessed her head was. There was a muffled "OI" as I guessed right. I jammed a different pillow stubbornly over my head. I felt our dog Flinders jumped up on my bed and growl at her. I watched them, amused, as Camryn bent down to pat him and I laughed as he nearly bit her fingers. Camryn pulled back sharply, looked at him and then they were off, wrestling on my bed. I groaned "Oh my god, get off!"

Camryn looked up from where she had Flinders in a headlock and said. "Well, get up then."

"I'll get up, when you get out."

She looked at me strangely. "Mums making you bacon."

I sat up grumpily and pushed my glasses onto my face, tying my hyper-curly blonde hair in a ponytail. "Fine, see? I'm moving."

My older sister smirked and nearly bounced out of the room. Really? Where did she get all that energy from? I was like a sloth in the mornings. I got out of  bed, she gets any more and she's going to achieve lift-off.

I looked down and smiled as I saw Flinders staring up at me, he was so cute. Then a memory stirred in my mind. Bite-mark. I pulled up my sleeve and sighed as I saw it there. I had hoped that it was all just a bad dream. Then I had an idea, I knelt down next to him and tried to keep him still as I looked at his teeth... "Well, there goes that theory," I stretched my back, and went to have breakfast.

***

"Morning!" My mum smiled.

"Don't talk to me yet, I'm not fully awake."

As she put the bacon on my plate, I immediately grabbed it and sat at the breakfast table, already half finished, that was what it was like when it came to me and bacon. God help anyone who tries to take it away from me.

"You nearly ready?" Mum asked.

I mumbled a reply through a mouthful of food and wondered why I wasn't telling mum about the bite-mark on my arm. It should have been one of those things that you run around the house at 4 o'clock in the morning making a fuss about. But something was holding me back, I guess I just didn't want mum to jump to the obvious conclusion. I didn't want anything to happen to Flinders.

"What's the matter?"

I realized that I had stopped chewing and swallowed. "Just thinking."

"What are you thinking about?"

"Lots of clever, evil little ideas for world domination." I answered automatically.

Camryn rushed in in a whirlwind of curly brown hair and perfume. I fought the urge to sneeze.

"Come on guys!! Hurry up."

"We're only like, two seconds late" I muttered but I quickly drained my orange juice and hurried off to brush my teeth. Then I helped mum draw the curtains across. Reaching up, I suddenly felt the same white hot pain come across me. It was only for a second, but one was enough for my mum to notice.

"What's wrong? You went really pale just then."

"I'm fine," I winced, "just a stomach ache."

She looked at me worryingly but  just then Camryn yelled down the hall. "Come ON people!"

***

The traffic on the way to school was even crappier than usual. We even had to drop Camryn off at the train station. As mum and I pulled up in front of my gloomy looking school, she turned to me. "I'm afraid that I can't wait with you today, I'm already really late!!"

I began to get out of the car, but she stopped me. "Kiss goodbye?"

I sighed. I was way too old for this. "Okay."

I leaned over and just as I kissed her on the cheek I felt a wrenching in me, like I would never see her again.

As I watched our silver Audi drive away I shook my head, picking up my bag. "That's stupid," I muttered turning away, "nothing's going to happen."