Chapter 41: Contact

I walked through the halls, looking around the corners to make sure I wasn't being followed, and then a door caught my gaze. I quickly opened it and locked it behind me.

My hand searched in the dark, and found a switch on the wall. The light momentarily blinded me. The room was no bigger than a public toilet cubicle, but the roof told me that I was under a staircase somewhere.

"Ok." I whispered, keeping my voice down in fear of anyone taking the stairs. "Come out."

There was a moment of silence but then the pressure on my mind returned.

Come in.

My vision clouded and then everything went black.

Hello

The shadows lifted and there was a young woman standing in front of me. I wasn't in the cupboard anymore. Or was I?

"Where am I?"

Exactly where you were.

Her mouth didn't move. It was more like the sounds came from all around. She had black straight hair that flowed all around, though there was no wind. It was rather like we were underwater. Her pale skin was covered in black lines. I took a closer look and realised that the lines were under the skin.

I looked down at my arms but they weren't there.

"What is this place?" My own voice echoed.

The surprisingly empty brain of yours.

I tried not to get too offended. "I'm pretty sure this isn't my brain."

Your brain... Your mind... I don't know. I don't know how these things works.

"Who are you?"

She tilted her head. I used to go by the name of Charlotte.

"Used to go?"

I have been dead for quite a long time.

"What?"

Yes. She seemed totally fine with the situation. I died approximately five hundred years ago.

"What are you... some kind of vampire?"

No of course not. Her tone changed, like she was offended. Once I was like you. A Lycan. A cursed human. Now I am merely a remnant of what I once was.

"A... Spirit?"

She smiled. Yes I suppose you can call me that.

The fact that Spirits existed didn't seem to bother me as much as everything else, but it would probably kick in soon enough.

"So..... What are you doing in here."

I appeared here. I do believe I have taken occupation of your body.

"Can you get OUT?" The panic finally began to affect me and her entire figure flickered. I stared at her with slight awe.

I could. But I need you. And I can help you Hayden. I can increase your strength. I can help you train. Don't worry. I have to leave if you tell me too.

I wasn't sure what to do. "Before, what happened? Did you force me to say that?"

I took control briefly. If I hadn't your inability to lie would have cost your friends everything.

She was right.

"I'm not happy with the idea that my actions might not be my own. So don't do that again."

Her expression was neutral. Naturally. I'd only help if you gave me permission. Now, you are about to have some company. You might want to wake up.

My eyes opened and blurred. I was laying on the tiles of the little room. Her last comment registered in my mind and I sat up quickly, my head spinning, and slid out the door. No one was in sight.

As I continued back the way I had come a single sentence intruded into my thoughts.

Keep it our secret.