Chapter 20: Visitors are required to Bring Popcorn and a Flat-Screen TV

The guard shut the bars on me and I immidiately felt sick. Not this place again. No no no. I leaned against the wall, breathing deeply and trying not to panic or be sick. That was the last thing I wanted. But something about this place just.... I dont know. I never wanted to even look into one of these cells again, let alone be in one. I lid down the wall and kneeled in my crumpled dress on that cold stone ground. Already my arms had goosebumps as the chill set in. My head throbbed.

Three Days Later

Ever so slowly my fear turned into anger. Of being left here, of nothing happening. What HAD happened. Then it turned into frustration. I HATED being in here. I didnt know if it was the pain of boredom or an unknown fear of enclosed spaces. I kicked the wall, hugged my knees to escape the cold, and yelled pointlessly at any guards that walked nearby. Especially the one who brought me in the first place. He seemed to stick around.

Every now and then someone would bring in food that I would either eat or throw at their heads. To put it simply. I was throwing the mother of all tantrums.

I leaned my head back on the wall that I had been spending the last twenty minutes kicking and closed my eyes. I knew that soon Angeline was going to come but after that I did not know. The vampire was just that unpredictable. But I was pretty sure that it was NOT going to be good for me. Basically Angeline was just brought up in a way when everyone told her that she had to beat up people to teach them a lesson. And I knew what was coming for me.

"Piss off." I told the person who I knew was staring at me through the bars. They shifted as they realised their presense hadn't gone as unnoticed as they had thought but they stayed.

After a few more minutes I finally opened my eyes.

Jason was standing there, this time merely wearing a white shirt and brown jeans.... Or pants... I really couldn't be bothered to take a closer look.

"You have some nerve you little-" I started but he interrupted.

"Are you sure that you want to finish that statement?"

"-You little shit." I finished anyway and he sighed.

"Now I can see the problems Angeline has with you. You seem to really have an issue with authority."

I leaned back again, staring at the ceiling. "Only when the authority pisses me off."

The pureblood looked surprised. "It's refreshing, you without the mask of being Angeline's little bitch."

I rose with lightning speed, surprising myself, and stood in front of the bars. Our faces were inches away. "I really don't like that word. So hurry up and say what you came for."

He ruffled his hair, an action that I realized was him being nervous. But what reason did he have to be nervous?

"I came... To apologize. It's my fault you're in this situation."

"No offence, but this situation started long before you came along." I turned away from the bars.

"Oh you'd be surprised." Jason whispered in a way that made me think that he didn't mean for me to hear him.

"You keep doing that," I pointed out and he gave me a questioning look. "You keep acting like you've seen me before. Just in the way you act, or the little remarks that you say. And I feel as though I know you from somewhere but I don't know where." I was surprised at the sudden confession.

He gave a small smile and beckoned me back to the bars that separated me from him. "Can I tell you a secret?"

I moved closer, excited to be getting answers. He whispered in my ear, so faint that I could hardly make it out.

"I have never seen you before in my life."

I backed away, furiously slamming my palm into the bars so that they rang out like a bell. Jason also took a step back, seemingly unfazed by my act of anger.

"Nobody tells me anything dammit! You wanted to apologize? Stop being a self absorbed ass! Why don't you go get me some clothes!? Oh, and make sure there's a jumper so I don't freeze my ass off while all you vampires are up there not giving a shit about life! Even better, why don't you get me the freak out of this place!" I turned away, finished with my pointless yelling. I sat on the ground facing away from the bars and did not turn back until I felt his presence disappear.

A few hours later there was a soft clearing of the throat and I turned to see the same guard who had dragged me in here. He was holding a soft bundle and looked extremely out of place.

"What do you want." I snapped. I was getting sick of all my 'visitors'.

"Jason... I mean... Lord Monterio wanted me to bring you these." He pushed the bundle through the bars so that it fell to the ground. I shifted over to it, not bothering to stand up, and shook them out.

A small piece of paper fluttered to the ground and I covered it with my foot before the guard could see.

The clothes were simple. A pair of dark blue tracksuit pants, grey three quarters length shirt and finally, a grey hoodie. I stared at them. But really my thoughts were on the note that was under my foot.

I slid back from the bars and carefully uncovered the note, hopefully without being noticed.

I'm sorry for what's happened to you Hayden

I glared at it but was shaken out of my brooding annoyance by the guards voice. "So what does it say?"

I jumped, and my mind went back to a classroom, when the teacher catches you passing notes and the moment when the classroom begins to fill with the students chants of 'Eat it! Eat it! Eat it!'

I wondered if I had enough time to dispose of the evidence before he came in here and took it.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to take it from you." He looked slightly amused and I frowned, curious.

"Why not?"

"Because Lord Monterio gave it to you."

Relieved of some of the pressure I replied with a question of my own. "Before... You called him Jason?"

He seemed surprised with this question but answered truthfully. "I used to be friends with Jason when we were younger. I'm one of his... Guards now. Just arrived a few days ago."

I looked down at the note, then scrunched it up in my fist.

"You! Get back to your post!" The new, but VERY familiar voice came out of nowhere and the guard quickly moved out of sight. To be replaced by an unwelcome figure.

Angeline.

My days of rest were over.