Chapter 32: Memories

"No.... don't do it." I watched as Angeline put her hand to Owens neck. I couldn't look away. I couldn't do anything but watch. Owen met my eyes and strangely, his voice was different. "It's ok Hayden. I love you. I'll never forget you." He closed his eyes and the scene changed.

"No....." I stared at the blood running down Owens neck as I cradled his head in my lap and then suddenly his eyes flew open.

"This is your fault."

I cried out. "No, this isn't real, this isn't how it happened!"

He stared up at me without any expression. "You killed me. It was all you."

***

"Hayden."

I tried to open my eyes but couldn't. Owen was gone. So was Angeline. There was just darkness.

"Hayden, I'm so sorry."

Sorry for what? Who was talking?"

"Hayden. I can feel your pain. Your loss."

I just want to open my eyes. Anything.

"There's only a few more hours left. You've done so well. It's nearly over."

Suddenly another voice. "Excuse me."

"Angeline."

"I need to give her this. If you would just move to the side?" Angeline's voice was strained, as if she was tired.

"Of course."

I felt something on my tongue and then felt pins and needles start up and down my body. My wrists stung and as I became aware, the pain in my body began to register in my brain.

"You might want to step back. Her abilities have a kind of backlash when she has the antidote. Threw me into a wall once."

So that was what happened. I felt my finger twitch and I opened my eyes.

Angeline was leaning on the opposite wall. I yanked against the chains so hard that they creaked in protest.

"Her eyes are golden." My head snapped to the side to see Jason looking at me with some interest but mainly concern. Golden eyes? I became aware of a warmth around my temple which I only realized was there when it relieved it's pressure in my head.

"Hayden, how are you?"

I spat at Angeline's feet in response and swore I could see Jason give a small smile.

"I wish you wouldn't do that."

"I'm going to kill you." It only came out as a whisper but Angeline's eyes narrowed.

"I had a feeling you would say that, which is why the last antidote was also accompanied with a powerful sedative. Nothing serious. Just to keep you out of it until we get you out of here."

I held her gaze until I felt my eyes begin to close.

***

I was fully aware for the first time in days. I ran my hand over the silk covers and came to the realization that I was in a bed. A warm bed. I didn't want to open my eyes.

"Hayden Alexandra."

I opened my eyes and stared over at Jason.

"We really need to stop meeting like this."

I swallowed and tasted something metallic.

"How long?" I swallowed.

"Six days."

I sat up quickly but then he was beside my bed, pushing me back down.

"No you don't. You are on bedrest until you get better. Doctors orders."

"And which doctor is this?" I was lucky he had supernatural hearing because the only sound that came out was a slight croak. He pursed his lips.

"The queen."

I stood, ignoring his protests and stumbled into a desk of draws. I was not going to stay in bed just because Angeline said so. Jason raised his eyebrows.

"I don't see how you're going to get back at Angeline by killing yourself."

I ignored him, walking over to the mirror and staring at the strange creature in the reflection.

A pale faced, gaunt, shadowed eyed girl was standing there. Painfully thin and all over her skin were small red lines. Veins. The poison was back in full force but I guess that now I would be kept to the proper schedule of getting the antidote. I stared at my eyes then turned to Jason.

"What did you mean by golden eyes?"

He smiled. "I had a feeling you could hear us. A werewolves eyes can glow golden for a period of time. It can happen for different reasons, stress, if you're shifted."

"Cool." I muttered. I rubbed my wrists which were left raw by the manacles that held me up and flinched as he came up behind me.

"Hayden... I have something... That I think you would like."

I turned to face him, doubt clearly showing on my face.

There on his outstretched hand was a plaited black leather band.

I froze.

"I had to steal it when they were about to do the operation on you."

I picked it up as if it might burn me but nothing happened. Owens bracelet sat harmlessly on my palm and as I looked it over I felt a tear run down my face. I sat down heavily on the floor and sobbed, holding the bracelet to my forehead. Jason sighed and went to comfort me but I shoved him away. Again. He stood back grinding his teeth.

"Leave me alone."

He made no movement to go and I stood, suddenly furious. "I said get out!"

We stood there in silence for a few seconds then he turned on his heel and left without saying a word.

I sat on the floor in front of the fire and cried.