Chapter 43: Welcome to the Family

"Any hints on what to do when faced by a large number of werewolves?"

Jason jumped over a tree root and then turned, holding out his hand to help me. I ignored it, and hoped that he didn't see my light slip that I only just managed to save.

"You're acting like they are totally different from you. You have to remember that you're a werewolf too. It should feel natural talking to them."

"What if they don't like me?" I blurted out and he turned again with a slight smile.

"Why wouldn't they like you?"

"I don't know...." The further we walked through the trees, the more uneasy I became. "What if something goes wrong?"

"Nothing will go wrong." He was turned away from me so I couldn't read his face but he sounded sure of himself.

"Sure...." There was a distant bird call in the background which suddenly stopped. The silence was deafening.

I stopped walking and Jason paused, looking up at the leaves.

Neither of us moved and then I heard a twig snap and what sounded like a fall of snow hitting the ground. I twisted around, peering into the gloom and then jumped as Jason gave a low whistle.

I moved forward so that I was standing beside him and we both waited.

"Who's the other one?" A female spoke from the shadows and I didn't wait for Jason to answer for me.

"Hayden Alexandra."

"Oooo." Suddenly a girl with bright red hair and green eyes dropped down in front of me and studied my face. "Nice name." She threw back her hood and her cheeks were slightly red with the cold.

"Thanks, I got it for my birthday."

She gave me a delighted smile. "I like you. My names Amber. Guys! You can come out!" Amber noticed Jason hanging back slightly and her face broke into a wide grin. "Jase! We haven't seen you in ages. It's about time!" As she spoke around two dozen figures broke from the trees. Three were wolves.

I stepped back and Amber noticed the fear in my eyes.

"You are a werewolf, right?"

"Yeah... I mean. That's what I've been told."

She looked at Jason for an explanation and he nodded. "Hayden was the werewolf that Riley wanted us to rescue. But the bloodsucker poisoned her so she hasn't been able to use her abilities yet."

"Wait." I pieced it together finally. "Those are people?" I stared at the wolves. One of them, a dark brown one, growled. The other two looked a remarkably similar shade of cream and they both stared at me warily.

"Ok.... Ok thats cool."

"Jason." Another werewolf stepped forward and my mouth fell open. "What's the plan?"

"You?!"

The guard who led me to Jason's room stood in front of me, suddenly looking very uncomfortable.

"You are kidding me. You're a werewolf?"

Jason put a hand on my shoulder. "Hayden, this is Travis. My friend."

"But.... A werewolf?"

Travis nodded. There was something different about him. Before I had come into contact with him he had been kind to me. But there was something strange happening. The look in his eyes as he took me in seemed to be one of distrust.

"Right, the plan." Jason began to talk but then Travis interrupted.

"Wait. Should she be here while we talk about this?"

I took in the full weight of his words and felt a thrill of stage fright as a number of the rest of the werewolves muttered in agreement.

"Hayden has proven herself-" Jason began but I shook my head at him.

"Look." I stepped forward, right up to Travis who I realised was the same height as I was. Good. that would make this easier. "I just want to get out of here."

"Exactly," Travis nodded. "What if Angeline has given you your freedom in exchange for information?"

"I would NEVER accept anything from her." I let my anger show in my eyes and he drew himself up.

"You talk about trust. Well, trust is a two way thing here, Buddy, so here's the deal." I turned to the rest of the group. "I will find a way to distract the king and queen. And I will do it my way." I turned back to Travis. "Once I have done that, and the rest of you have played your part then I'll be on my way. And don't worry. Even Jason hasn't told me the full plan. So you can put your worries to rest." Travis's eyes flickered to Jason who was standing behind me. After a tense moment he nodded, and stood back.

I breathed easily and looked back at Jason. "Continue." His eyes gave a kind of twinkle which I ignored, walking past him and clearing a patch of snow, sitting on a log.

"So the reason that we are all standing here and not on the road yet is that the back gate is locked shut. Which happens to be the best way out for us. Going out the front gate would be suicide."

"Locked.... With a key?" I asked and he turned to me. "No, a button."

"Naturally." I muttered.

"The button is located in the centre living room. Hidden, of course. The king and queen spend most of their time there and are most likely to walk in so that's why we need Hayden here to distract them for a good few hours. Then our people, who we have gradually placed in positions around the mansion over the last few months, will search the place, open the gate and we will escape out the back. If all goes well then there will be not much trouble. But something is bound to go wrong." He turned to me.

"Hayden. The first part of the plan you will have to do on your own. I trust you have a plan and I advise against sharing it with any here. You never know who could be watching. After you have started you will meet with the werewolves in the kitchen. I believe you have already met one?"

I remembered the girl I ran into who shoved me out the kitchen door. Bianca.

"Yes."

"Ok, meet up with her and a few others and then head to the main room. This all has to be done as quietly, and quickly, as possible. So avoid talking as much as you can. The rest of us will provide a few more distractions and cover as we then make our escape. Got it?"

Everyone began nodding and I swallowed nervously. Wasn't anyone else scared?

"Hayden?" Jason searched my eyes and I nodded.

"I'll do what needs to be done. Don't worry about me."

"Just remember," He leaned closer. "None of this matters if you don't get out safely. I have a promise to keep."

"For Riley?"

He hesitated and then nodded. "Yes of course." He turned back to the gathering, "good luck everyone. Wait for my signal."

Jason grabbed my hand. "Let's get you back."

I nodded, hoping that they wouldn't realise that I didn't have a clue what to do.

Tainted Blood.

I froze. Cole said... Tainted blood. The poison. I didn't know how to get any but my blood was full of it!

I knew exactly what I needed to do.