Chapter 36: Flashback

Angeline

As soon as the door swung shut behind Hayden, Angeline slammed her hands down on the mahogany table. She shut her eyes and tried to calm the storm inside her but it was gradually becoming stronger and stronger. Like a dam beginning to crack.

She breathed. In and out. Then tied her long black hair up in a bun on her head, staring at the reflection in the mirror. Her normally bright blue eyes were darker than usual and the shadows under them were more visible than ever. Angeline sighed and uncorked a bottle, pouring out the blood into a glass. The vampire began to take a sip but at the last second she winced, slamming the glass back onto the table and spilling the contents everywhere. She gasped as the red stained everything, running into the documents and onto the floor. Angeline quickly grabbed a cloth from her bathroom, soaking up the liquid and shaking out the papers, seeing what could be salvaged.

A little photo fluttered out of the pile she was holding and landed on the floor. Angeline knelt down and gasped, snatching it up and frantically trying to wipe off the blood. Finally she cried out in frustration and wiped her cheeks which were wet.

"No no no no!"

The two figures stared out from the black and white image at her. One of them blurred but the other, a young girl with serious eyes and dark coloured hair, remained untouched. Angeline run her hands through her hair and fell back into the covers of her bed, staring at the ceiling.

That was all I had left of her.

And suddenly she was thrown into the past.

A few hundred years previously.

"Angie! You're meant to put the stick here! To symbolise the flag! It makes more sense if you put it on the middle tower! Not the side!" The young girl from the photograph called out to Angeline from a small sand box on the veranda.

Young Angeline had a small bob cut and wore a worn long sleeved dress embroidered with flowers. The other girl wore a blue silk dress.

Angeline laughed freely and waved her hand, little drops of sweat appearing on her brow as she gestured towards the small stick.

For a moment, nothing happened. But then the twig shuttered and floated jerkingly into the air, hovering for a moment but then Angeline let out a gasp and the stick fell to the ground. The other girl watched with an open mouth at the display and then cried out.

"That was AWESOME! When did you learn to do that?!"

Angeline smiled weakly, suddenly drained, and walked up to the other girl. The vampire picked the stick off the ground and planted it back into the middle tower of the sandcastle they had been building. "A few days ago. In a few years I will be able to do amazing things. How are you going with your studies?"

The other girl smiled and lowered her head for a moment. Then, raising it, she revealed eyes that glowed golden like a sunset. The werewolf gave a relieved laugh, like she hadn't been certain that it was going to work and then the glow faded. "Father says that I'm nearly there. I've nearly got complete control. Soon I'll be able to go out in public and everything!"

"Riley! What do you think you're doing!?" A sharp, adult voice cut through the peaceful garden and both girls flinched, turning towards the forest that surrounded the mansion. A figure stood in the distance, seeming too threatened to come any closer. Young Riley stood and stepped out of the sand box, quickly running over to the well dressed woman.

"We were just playing."

"You don't play with vampires Riley. And you certaining do NOT share our abilities with ANYONE!"

"Sorry mother...." Riley tried to turn back to say goodbye to her friend but her mother violently grabbed hold of her shoulder and pulled her away.

The present.

The flashback ended and Angeline slowly opened her eyes to find then almost glued together by dry tears. The sun was at a different angle and was now spilling golden light into the previously dim room. Angeline sat up, overcome by the memories and began sobbing uncontrollably. The soaked photograph fluttered out of her grip and landed on the floor and then the door was thrown open.

Angeline barely looked up, just stared down, her vision blurred by the tears and pressed herself into Cole as he sat down next to her and hugged her.

After a few minutes Cole released his sister and bent down to pick up the ruined image of the two girls. He sighed and look back at his crying sister, then waved his hand over the image. The smudge of blood floated off the photo, leaving the two girl perfectly visible and the image saved. Cole released the power and the blood drifted through the air and landed in the glass on the table. He sat back down next to Angeline and handed her the photo. She took it gingerly and the tears slowly ceased. She threw her arms around her brother and they stayed there until the sun had set.