Chapter 14: No regrets

I went through with it.

I stared in the mirror at the girl in the reflection. A bruise was slowly beginning to show and I poked it gently, wincing as it throbbed. Why did this happen to me? Because you chucked on her $150 boots.

The bedroom Angeline had taken me to was right next to her with an adjoining door. No worries there apart from the fact that the door locked from the outside.

I tried not to think about that and shrugged on a green hoodie and black tracksuit pants. I was NOT in the mood for any bullshit today. Maybe if you kept your mouth shut, you wouldn't have to deal with the bullshit. A little annoying voice said in the background of my mind and I shook my head.

Maybe if they used the punching bag, instead of me, than I wouldn't have this bloody cut and bruise on my cheekbone I glared at the bruise. But I had to admit that it was totally worth it.

A knock interrupted my thoughts and Angeline came whirling in. "What in the name of the holy lord are you wearing? You aren't a moody teen anymore!"

"Yes I am."

"That's not what I mean, my mother would freak if she saw you in that."

"It's not like I'm going to be doing anything today." I flopped back on the bed staring at the ceiling.

"What are you talking about? Your schedule starts today." She grinned as my face fell. Walking over to the massive cupboard, she opened it with a flourish and began rummaging around looking for for appropriate wear.

I couldn't believe how quickly her emotions changed after what happened last night. After she locked the door behind me I sat in my shower and cried. Just cried.

Angeline threw a pair of black jeans at my face and I picked them up and shoved them away. "Too tired."

"That didn't work when you were younger, and it isn't going to work now. It's nine AM, you're already late."

"You're my teacher, you can decide right?"

"Yes I can," she grabbed my ankle and before I could react, she pulled me off the bed and I landed with a thump on the floor, "and I've decided that it's time for you to get your lazy ass out of bed."

I groaned and stood, rubbing my knee.

"Meet me in the hall when you're ready." She left and I stood there for a few seconds, then grabbed the jeans, and returned to the bathroom.

When I came out a dagger embedded itself into the door in front of my face. Angeline was leaning against the wall opposite with a bored expression. "That was for leaving me waiting for so long." She pushed off the wall and set off, walking with the air of royalty. Like always.

I attempted to walk as gracefully as her, but gave up after nearly stubbing my toe.

"Why aren't you wearing any shoes?"

I looked at her back, startled, and then looked down at my feet. "Ummm.... Is this really important?"

"No I suppose not, but you really have to look presentable. Soon the guests of my party will be arriving and I want to make a good impression. I am going to be queen one day after all."

I stopped in surprise and Angeline continued for a few meters, then turned.

"You're going to be queen?" My voice was faint. How long would I be here for? Would I be there to see it?

"Yes, I will be queen. In the vampiric culture it's the females that rule. With a few exceptions. You might even be lucky and be there. Mother and father will be stepping down from their rule in a few months. There is a ceremony and everything!" She looked so excited that I even started to feel a little of anticipation.