Chapter 37- First Case

"Montgomery, move it," Dr. Vernon said as all of us rushed to the emergency room once again.

As I walked in, I saw Jace and Candace sitting down on the couch next to the bed where dad was laying down.

"Montgomery," Dr. Vernon said which supposedly meant that I had to review her charts and introduce her.

I couldn't move because right in front of my eyes was my dad. He was on the bed unconscious and his forehead had a big bandage taped on.

My first instinct was to go to him and hug him. I didn't even know that he came back from his honeymoon. Now that he is here, he is in the hospital.

"Montgomery," Dr. Vernon warned and I slowly picked up dad's chart and flipped through the pages.

"This is Jared Montgomery," I started and my voice almost cracked. "He is 54 years old and a healthy patient. Until recently found that he has kidney stones. He has been out for a while because of the drugs given to him."

I saw Candace and Jace look up at me as I talked. None of them said anything as nobody knew this was my dad.

"So what's your treatment plan Montgomery?" Dr. Vernon asked and I slowly wiped away a tear which was forming in my eyes.

"Treatment includes pain relievers, drinking lots of water to help pass the stones. Medical procedures would not be needed as this is the most common type and could be treated without surgery," I explained and Dr. Vernon seemed impressed.

"It's your case Montgomery," she said and left with the other interns.

Just as they left, I ran to dad and checked his heart rate and almost anything else I could have.

"Oh, Candace," I said and hugged her as she cried in my arms.

"What's wrong with him? He was fine up until this morning but just as we left to your house he started coughing up blood and his stomach was hurting."

"It's nothing to worry about Candace. He will be treated properly here," I replied.

"How are you here?" Jace asked.

"Becoming a surgeon was my dream and I finally get to become one. I didn't want to loose this chance," I replied and hugged Jace.

"Why didn't you pick up my calls?" Jace exclaimed.

"I have been working since yesterday and we aren't allowed to use phones during this time. I haven't checked my phone since yesterday," I explained. "How is Keechee?"

"She is great. She misses you and was planning on surprising you but you weren't home."

"Where is Catalina?" I asked and Candace sighed.

"She was at the office but I called her so she should be coming here soon," she replied.

"How did he hurt his forehead?" I asked.

"He was driving and when he crashed his car, it ran into Catalina's boss so he is also in this hospital."

Catalina's boss? Can it be Chase? Oh god.

Without another thought I quickly ran outside to the registrar. "Excuse me? What room is Mr. chivalry in?" I asked and the lady and she typed something on the computer.

"He is in the east wing, same floor, room 1905," she replied and I quickly rushed there.

___

I pushed the door open, Dr. Vernon and the other interns looked back at me panting. My eyes searched the bed and there was a body lying down.