Chapter 10- Tears Are For The Weak?

Tears.

          I hated crying.

          But today I had the right to cry. Mom always said tears are for the weak and I wasn't weak. I still remember the day when mom told me to stay strong no matter what happens.

          It was the day when my grandfather died. I was only 4 years old.

          Mom, Dad, Keechee, I and few other people were in a room. A room which was filled with sadness and death. Today was the day that grandfather died.

          "Mommy? Can you please call grandpapa?" I asked and everybody's head turned my way.

          Keechee was crying and mom's eyes were teary, it looked like she was about to cry. "Olive, grandpapa can't come," mom spoke with sadness in her voice.

          I shifted my balance to my other leg and rested my chin on my palms. "But mommy, grandpapa promised me that he will take me out to eat ice cream," I spoke with my baby voice.

          "Baby you know grandpapa is tired right?" Mom started slowly.

          "Right," I looked at her. She looked at dad who held her hand and I followed her gaze.

          "So grandpapa told me that he needed to take a nap,"

          "But you said we cannot take nap in evenings."

          "But grandpapa was really tired so I gave him a free pass."

          "Is it because he is old?"

          Mom chuckled slightly and nodded along with "yes baby." She pulled me into a long hug.

          "Mommy I checked his room but he wasn't there," I started again.

          "It's because he is here," she pointed towards a big box, at the time I didn't know what it was but it was a coffin.

          I slowly walked towards the coffin and saw grandpapa lying in the big box. "Mommy grandpapa has a box to sleep in. Where is mine?" I asked.

          Mom came towards me and sat on her knees in front of me. "Because it's not time for you yet."

          "Time for what mommy?"

          "Time to die," I heard someone shout from the crowd. I heard mom gasp and many other gasped loudly. I turned around and saw a small guy, he looked as old as me. He came jumping towards me. "He is dead," he spoke again.

          "What? No," I shrieked. I looked at mom, who stood up and was crying on dad's shoulder. "He can't die, right mommy?" I asked mom but she didn't reply instead she looked at me with straight expressions.

          "Everybody dies one day and his day is today," the boy spoke.

          "But he promised me that he won't ever leave me."

          "Everybody leave one day."

          "Mommy where is grandpapa now?" I asked mom.

          "Jesus decided to invite him over at his house so grandpapa is safe there," mom spoke slowly.

          "So he'll come soon?" I asked, looking at mom and she nodded.