Chapter 36- Internship

Walking into St. Mary hospital was a big step for me. I have dreamt about being a doctor since a little girl. Finally, I am going to start a new chapter of my life.

All thanks to Armaan.

I looked around and saw doctors and nurses running around and helping the patients. I felt a rush inside of me. Something I hadn't felt for a long time.

I walked to the locker room and saw few others who were starting fresh just like me. Without another word, I placed my stuff in my locker and put on my white coat.

"Hey guys I am Alice Lockhart and I am the head nurse," a lady said as she walked in with a chart. "Hawthorn, Montgomery, Shrestha, Greene, Pham and McLaren report to Vernon on the seventh floor in 10 minutes."

She left without giving us a glance. All her attention was on the chart. I looked around and saw five others rushing so I figured that they were my intern group.

"These lockers are so small, how can one put anything in them?" One of the girls exclaimed.

"It's easy," one of the other guys said as he placed his clothes inside.

"Did anyone ask you? Don't talk to me," she said and closed her locker.

"Hey, I'm Nick, Nick Pham," he said and extended his arm.

"Why don't you go and be Nick over there?" She rudely told him off.

He slowly made his way to another girl and I. "Hey, I'm Olive, Olive Montgomery," I extended my arm and he shook it.

"Nickolas Pham," he replied.

"Nate Hawthorne," other guy said, shaking my hand.

"Rose Greene," the girl replied and shook Nickolas' arm.

"Elizabeth McLaren," the mean girl slowly made her way towards us.

"Aaron Shrestha," another dude came and smiled.

"You weren't at the dinner yesterday," Elizabeth said and I closed my locker.

"Yeah I didn't know about it," I replied.

"How so? All of us have been excited about this since months," she said.

"I just applied for internship yesterday," I replied and they all seemed confused. "I- I'm not from your batch. I am class of 2010 not 2017."

They all were shocked. No one said anything until I cleared my throat. "Wait, did you fail or something?"

"I quit medicine after I finished my internship. So, now I'm repeating my internship but I only have to be an intern for couple of months and then I'll start my residency," I explained.

"Dang, so are you like 35?" Rose asked and I chuckled.

"I actually graduated early from high school and college so I am 26," I replied and their eyes almost popped out.

"So, yo graduated from high school when you were 16?" Nate asked and I nodded. "Wow, that's cool."

"Yup," I agreed. "We should leave before Dr. Vernon gets mad. I heard that she is really strict."

___

"Hawthorne?" Dr. Vernon called and the dude picked up his stethoscope and pager.

"Greene?" Dr. Vernon called and the girl did the same.

"Montgomery?" She asked for me and I quickly picked up my pager and stethoscope.

"Shrestha? Pham? McLaren?" She asked and others did the same.

"Alright peeps, I'm not interested in talking to you just as much as you aren't. Let me tell you some rules, I didn't choose you guys. You were given to me so however and whoever you are, I don't care. All I care about is my reputation," she started and all of us were intimidated by her.

"Also, interns aren't important at all so don't think you have achieved anything until you're an actual surgeon. Another thing, always be on time for rounds because I won't wait for you. If you're late then you'll do rectal exams for a week and work in the pit. Understood?"

"Yes," all of us said in unison.

"Alright then why don't we start on rounds today and then I will assign you to your own cases. Remember to be on the seventh floor every morning at 5 because that's our daily patient," Dr. Vernon said and we left for rounds.

I hadn't been this nervous for anything but I love medicine with all my heart and soul. Medicine makes me nervous and finally it was my chance to prove to myself that I could do it.

___

"Alright now let me assign you to your cases," she said. "Hawthorne and Greene, you guys are with Dr. Tapia. Pham, you are with Dr. Garcia. Shrestha and McLaren, you both are with Dr. Patel. Montgomery, you are with Dr. Kapoor."

We all stood there and looked at her, who was busy writing something on her writing pad. "Why are you guys staring at me? Go to your assigned surgeons and assist them," Dr. Vernon almost shouted and we dispersed through the halls.

___

As exciting as it was to find where Dr. Kapoor was, having the same rush inside me was more exciting.

Suddenly the intercom asked him to the fourth floor as there was an emergency. I quickly went to fourth floor and waited outside the emergency room.

Suddenly Armaan came out of the elevator and walked towards the emergency room along with a writing pad. His eyes were glued to the charts of this patient as he approached the room.

When his eyes met mine, he stopped in his tracks and smiled. "Olive?"

"Armaan, Hey," I replied and he walked towards me.

"Hey Olive. It's so good to see you here. I'm sorry but I have to take on this new case," he replied and opened the emergency room's door.

"Guess I'm with you today," I smiled at him and we walked in the room.

___

"We should uh- we should clean the cut, look for other injuries and give him morphine if he is in pain," I said, nervously but Armaan gave me a warm smile and I calmed down a little.

"That's right Dr. Montgomery so why don't you start on that and I will check on him when we are ready for surgery," he suggested and I clutched onto the charts hard.

"Y-yes Dr. Kapoor," I replied and we smiled at the patient and walked out.

"That was great," Armaan said as we walked out.

"That was awful," I replied and his eyebrows furrowed.

"You were good in there Olive. I will give you some of my notes from when I was an intern. They would help you big time," he replied and smiled at me.

I slowly gave the charts to one of the nurses and she placed it on the side.

"Thank you for this Armaan. It is amazing to practice medicine again," I said and he smiled at me and left.

My first 36 hour shift didn't seem bad after all. Now they make us work more than before but it's good to be back.

I can't wait to go home and tell Rhea about this.

Suddenly I saw Candice and Jace rushing to the emergency room. Tears were flowing down Candice' eyes and Jace tried to comfort her.

What are they doing here?

___

Hey there! I hope you liked the update. It's just like a filler chapter of how Olive starts doing what she loved again.

Here's an early update for my lovely readers who are patiently waiting. Thank you, I love you guys so much.

When I wrote it, I was watching grey's anatomy. So, I think I was influenced a little but don't worry I won't kill off any characters like Shonda does. I am super mad like none of my fav characters ended up together nor alive.

Don't forget to press the little star at the bottom and support my story. Thank you!